Honored Contributor

Re: What makes you refer to a top as a blouse?

Something to conservative for me to want to wear would be a blouse!!

Honored Contributor

I always consider a blouse to be more dressy

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't know.  All blouses are tops but not all tops are blouses.  For me a blouse has either front or back buttons.  A blouse is usually has a collar and sleeves.  A blouse is usually a woven fabric like silk, chiffon, cotton.  

A blouse IMO does not necessarily need a collar if the neckline finished, maybe with facing, piping, or if it is a drapy neckline, like with a wrap neckline, or a cowl neckline.

Honored Contributor

From google:

As nouns the difference between blouse and shirt

is that blouse is an outer garment, usually loose, that is similar to a shirt and reaches from the neck to the waist or below nowadays, in colloquial use, blouse refers almost always to a woman's shirt that buttons down the front while shirt is an article of clothing that is worn on the upper part of the body, and often has sleeves, either long or short, that cover the arms. 

As verbs the difference between blouse and shirt

is that blouse is to hang a garment in loose folds while shirt is to cover or clothe with a shirt, or as if with a shirt. 

Esteemed Contributor

To add to my buttons reply, for me a blouse has buttons and is fitted; if it's fuller then I call it a shirt.

Super Contributor

If it has buttons and is a lightweight material. 

Honored Contributor

Blouses are always included in tops.  I think every woman knows what a blouse looks like.  They usually involve buttons front or back maybe on the side.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To me a blouse is loose and flowy, with or without buttons or a collar, that can be drawn in at the waist to create a blouson effect...two words with similar meanings.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I think a blouse buttons up and down the front of it.  As opposed to a top which doesn't.

@Pearlee   Blouses can button at the back of the neck.  They can also button down the back.  My mother used to wear very high-end clothing and she had blouses that buttoned down the back.  Very beautiful blouses.  Not that many but she had some.  The buttons went to about one-fourth the way down the back.  Some had a key hole with a button.  I love blouses from the 1940s, 1950s.  So elegant.

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I always consider a blouse to be more dressy

Agree.