Honored Contributor

I recently received some $10 Belk Rewards coupons and decided to use them today before they expired.  Ended up with 8 items, mostly tops, but 1 skirt and 1 dress.  As I was shopping I noticed some of the racks mentioned something about a coupon and the Belk app which I do have.  I really don't know that much about how to use it, but I checked the app and saw some coupons there.  And, some of the items were on clearance.  I was specifically shopping for summer clothes, but I couldn't resist a soft hoodie at 80% off.  The fabric was so comfy.  

Got to checkout and asked the lady about the coupons and she told me there was a 45% off and a 10% off I could use (for specific items, not everything).  Then she said my total was something like $218.  Now, I'm the 1st to admit I cannot do math in my head, but I thought it didn't sound right.  She mentioned all the percentages off and I started thinking 8 items for a little over $200 was probably right.  I swipe my card, but right before she finished I remembered my $10 off coupon.  I asked if there as any way to apply it and she said she would have to return everything and start over which she did.  

We then had to go through the entire process again with me pulling up the coupons on my app and then she applied my Reward coupon.  Actually, I didn't read the fine print, but I thought I could use both of the $10 coupons, one per item, at the same time, but I didn't ask.  They had only one register open and there were now a couple of people waiting in line.  She never told me my total, but when she handed me the receipt, she said something about $69.99.  I thought she said that had been returned to my card, which made no sense to me, but okay.  

I get home and start looking at my receipt trying to figure out why that would be.  The top half of the receipt are the returns which added up to $207.61+tax.  There are no details on the return section to compare what discounts were taken.  I added up the items on the bottom half of the receipt and they add up to $143.41, and the $69.99 is in parentheses, so that would be what was returned to my card.  Now, how I have a $69.99 difference when all I did was add in a $10 reward I can't quite figure out.  

I guess I'm gonna have to check my account after a day or so to see what's actually on my card.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What just happened here?

God Bless You

@Icegoddess wrote:

I recently received some $10 Belk Rewards coupons and decided to use them today before they expired.  Ended up with 8 items, mostly tops, but 1 skirt and 1 dress.  As I was shopping I noticed some of the racks mentioned something about a coupon and the Belk app which I do have.  I really don't know that much about how to use it, but I checked the app and saw some coupons there.  And, some of the items were on clearance.  I was specifically shopping for summer clothes, but I couldn't resist a soft hoodie at 80% off.  The fabric was so comfy.  

Got to checkout and asked the lady about the coupons and she told me there was a 45% off and a 10% off I could use (for specific items, not everything).  Then she said my total was something like $218.  Now, I'm the 1st to admit I cannot do math in my head, but I thought it didn't sound right.  She mentioned all the percentages off and I started thinking 8 items for a little over $200 was probably right.  I swipe my card, but right before she finished I remembered my $10 off coupon.  I asked if there as any way to apply it and she said she would have to return everything and start over which she did.  

We then had to go through the entire process again with me pulling up the coupons on my app and then she applied my Reward coupon.  Actually, I didn't read the fine print, but I thought I could use both of the $10 coupons, one per item, at the same time, but I didn't ask.  They had only one register open and there were now a couple of people waiting in line.  She never told me my total, but when she handed me the receipt, she said something about $69.99.  I thought she said that had been returned to my card, which made no sense to me, but okay.  

I get home and start looking at my receipt trying to figure out why that would be.  The top half of the receipt are the returns which added up to $207.61+tax.  There are no details on the return section to compare what discounts were taken.  I added up the items on the bottom half of the receipt and they add up to $143.41, and the $69.99 is in parentheses, so that would be what was returned to my card.  Now, how I have a $69.99 difference when all I did was add in a $10 reward I can't quite figure out.  

I guess I'm gonna have to check my account after a day or so to see what's actually on my card.

@Icegoddess 

God Bless You. I'd be tearing my hair out trying to work that out. 

Respected Contributor

Some stores put the "money saved" amount in parenthesis.  I didn't do the math on your specific example but maybe that's what it is.

Honored Contributor

@santorini that would not be it since the money I saved was $224.26.  They also included in parentheses the tax they deducted to get to the $69.99.  On the bottom portion of the receipt which was where they re-scanned all the items, the details about all the deductions taken are included and are in parenthesis which is how I got to the $224.26 number.  If there was a permanent markdown on an item, the deductions in parentheses are deducted from that price.  

Trusted Contributor

Maybe you got $10 off one of each of six or seven of your items, which would also lower the tax on each of those items?

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess   Your check out issues is exactly why I don't even bother with coupons from Belk.  There are more exclusions than any place I have ever seen.  If I get stuff at any percentage off I just say "woopee".  

Honored Contributor

@Silver Fox1 wrote:

Maybe you got $10 off one of each of six or seven of your items, which would also lower the tax on each of those items?

@Silver Fox1 No, the receipt clearly shows the $10 off the last item which just happened to be the dress.  I got that $68 dress for $13.54.  It was 60% + my $10 + the 10% App Coupon and something called a TR Dsc of 94 cents

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess   I had Belk rewards too, they were $10 off $75 or more, did you have the same?

Best way to use the "or more" is to divide your items up then you can use all the rewards you have.

Macy's just offers "rewards" period which you can use all your rewards without any minimum purchase.  I opted not to use my Belk rewards since I really didn't want to spend $75 to get $10 off.

Hope you sit and figure it out.

Valued Contributor

Good grief you would have to have an advanced math degree to figure THAT out. Good luck!!
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@Icegoddess   I had Belk rewards too, they were $10 off $75 or more, did you have the same?

Best way to use the "or more" is to divide your items up then you can use all the rewards you have.

Macy's just offers "rewards" period which you can use all your rewards without any minimum purchase.  I opted not to use my Belk rewards since I really didn't want to spend $75 to get $10 off.

Hope you sit and figure it out.

@Just Bling I didn't see a minimum amount listed, and it might've been in the fine print which I didn't read.  I just pulled it out before I left and did see that there were no exclusions which is rare.  

I don't have a Macy's nearby and rarely shop for clothing online because I really need to try stuff on.  Bummer.  Shoes are so much more reliably the same size across the board.