Honored Contributor

Re: What is with all these holey jeans !

This is another one of those old new trends!  This was around back when I was young and that was quite a while.  

I have seen a few pairs that I thought I could maybe wear for very casual uses.  They mainly consitsed of a couple tiny rips and then kind of had patches over them.  

I still see a lot of the jeans with the ripped hems.  We had this look sort of also when I was young.  But we didn't do it on purpose!  Our jeans were so long that from dragging the ground -- yuck -- they would start to fray.

I have not bought any of the frayed hem jeans because for one thing I think this style will go out pretty quickly and for another, I can't wear them to work for casual days.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I've been looking for my staple, pull up tight jeans.  But I'd like them to be  ripped/torn look! I can't find any in a long length though. I just may cut a pair of mine to wear this summer. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

It's always been my goal to wear clothing that does not have holes or rips.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I think there is tastefully holey jeans and ridiculously holey jeans -of course, if that makes any sense... 

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

@depglass I don't care for the trend.  And I also will not buy any distressed jeans for ethical reasons.

The pracitce of producing distressed jeans is linked to lung disease in garment workers.  

Here is an article "Your Distressed Jeans May Be Harboring a Dirty Secret"

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/09/distressed-jeans-dirty-secret_n_3568951.html

Honored Contributor

Way ,way back in the late 60's, we took are jeans cut them off , pulled the fabric until we got it to fray,and made shorts.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have a couple of pairs of "distressed" aka "holey" jeans.

Super Contributor

I couldn’t agree more. Gonna continue to wear “my holey Silver Jeans” and love them, 

Valued Contributor

I have one pair and my husband hates them. he says they look sloppy

Esteemed Contributor

@so so- your husband is right.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt