Regular Contributor

Re: What is this type of Christmas candy called?

FYI - I was in Dollar General yesterday (if you have this store in your area) and they were selling these by the container w/lid, same as the photos that someone posted earlier in this thread.  They were also selling ribbon candy too if anyone remembers that as well.

Honored Contributor

Dentist's pension fund?

Respected Contributor

I'm with BirdieGal.

Respected Contributor

OKPrincess, Russell Stover products are a thousand times beyond this cheap, painfully hard candy.

Honored Contributor

We had that and the thin ribbon; I loved the clove. Remember All Sorts?  I'm a fan of licorice so I was pleased about those.

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

Hard candy?    Someone mentioned hard tack.  I remember that as a large, thick cracker-type item that was hard.  Wasn't candy was like a cracker.  I wish I could find some today.  Great with butter on it and a cup of coffee.

Yep.  It's what you put in the saddle bag for a long trip! 

Honored Contributor

I ate a lot of those....reminds me of  little pillows....I would not eat them now....but as kid I loved those candies!

Honored Contributor

I love the All Sorts, they remind me of my Mom. Our local Fresh Market sells it by the pound.
Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

Hard candy?    Someone mentioned hard tack.  I remember that as a large, thick cracker-type item that was hard.  Wasn't candy was like a cracker.  I wish I could find some today.  Great with butter on it and a cup of coffee.

@Daysdee- I agree - hard tack is a biscuit or cracker-type food.

I loved these hard candies.  We always had them when I was growing up.  We only ever got them at Christmas, along with ribbon candy.

Honored Contributor

I always called it "that really pretty candy that I thought I liked and didn't.".