Honored Contributor

Re: What is it with Women's Socks?

@Desert Lily wrote:

I wear a 9 1/2M women's shoe. On rare occasion, I go up to a 10. It's very difficult to find women's socks in that "extended" size. When I buy women's Sock Size 9-11, they are for shoe/feet sizes smaller than mine. The heels of the socks don't reach my heels, and they're often short in length up the ankle. I like to wear ankle socks when it's cold out, inside some boots, or if they have a cute subtle pattern sometimes. K-Mart used to be the only place I could find "extended" size ankle socks in solid colors that matched my pants and had a wide comfortable band at the ankle. The store closed here.

The same holds true for trouser socks. I usually purchase the "extended" size in Legacy Trouser (not compression) socks because they blend with my work pants or jeans and have a comfortable band beneath the knee. (I've tossed several that got holes after only 1-2 wearings.)

But really, a 9 1/2 women's shoe is not an "extended" size anymore. And what is the "extended" label? Most of my millennial child's female friends wear a larger shoe size than I do. Women's shoes are offered in Size 12+. I recently wanted No-Show socks for my sneakers and ended up buying Calvin Klein Men's size 7-12 no-show socks. Really.

*I want a sock that fits in foot length, ankle/leg length, & around.

*I want a sock that does not have a skinny band at the top that acts like a rubber band and leaves a red mark.

*I want a comfortable band on all of my socks. And, I want them to stay up.

*And I want style.

It seems like the shoe industry has stepped it up and recognized women's feet don't stop at size 8; it's past the time for sock manufacturers to step it up, too.

My shoe size is 11n.  Since I don't wear colorful socks, I purchase mine from the mens department.  I like the ankle length and they are comfy.  I always get white.  I wear socks with my sneakers and to bed if my feet are cold Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Desert Lily 

There's still Kmart online.  

They have clothing. Maybe you can still get your socks.

Just Google Kmart Online.  ☺

Honored Contributor

Funny you mention this sock issue.  Often in the winter when I wash socks they're really snug on me and I'm an 8-8 1/2!  They're supposed to "fit all".  Who is "all"?

Honored Contributor

I buy ozone socks and I have a small foot  . They are supposed to fit large sizes too..They are cute and wear like iron

Honored Contributor

here is ozone's sizing chart

Shoe Size
Women's OSFMWomen's 5-10 Shoe
Women's SM or Regular
Women's 5-10 Shoe
Women's Large
Women's 8.5+ Shoe
Men's OSFMMen's 8-12.5 Shoe
Men's RegularMen's 5-8 Shoe
Men's ML or LargeMen's 8-12.5 Shoe
Super Contributor

On the same subject of socks....why do you have to buy them in such big packages; often six or more.  Sometimes I only need one pair of a sneaker sock.  Glad I got that off my chest!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Years ago I was a men's buyer that got a 50% discount so I learned to wear men's socks.  The women's socks I have bought since then usually run small, and I wear a size 8 or 8 1/2 shoe.  My best luck is at TJ Maxx, I have a few men's gold toe socks that have worn like iron,

Esteemed Contributor

I wear 10.5 or 11 so I understand.  I buy queen opaque trouser socks from Amazon and have even gotten them from Lane Bryant or Catherine's.  I wear these with dress pants for work/church.  I buy men's ribbed ankle socks to wear with jeans and, on occasion, with dress pants.  I've gotten them at Penney's, TJ Maxx, Kohl's, etc.   I don't buy the same brand name but they all look pretty much the same wherever I purchase them from.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Try Bombas

@Meowingkitty @Desert Lily  Best socks on the planet. Like a hug for your feet. 

Can't vouch for the sizing though...Sorry

Esteemed Contributor

Finding socks that fit have always been a problem for me. I need them to stay in place but due to leg surgery I can't have super tight elastic. Here are the brands that work for me:

Catawba socks (QVC)

CopperFit socks (HSN)

Two other companies that I would consider:

Bombas

Duluth Trading Co.

Good Luck!.