Respected Contributor

What is it with Women's Socks?

I wear a 9 1/2M women's shoe. On rare occasion, I go up to a 10. It's very difficult to find women's socks in that "extended" size. When I buy women's Sock Size 9-11, they are for shoe/feet sizes smaller than mine. The heels of the socks don't reach my heels, and they're often short in length up the ankle. I like to wear ankle socks when it's cold out, inside some boots, or if they have a cute subtle pattern sometimes. K-Mart used to be the only place I could find "extended" size ankle socks in solid colors that matched my pants and had a wide comfortable band at the ankle. The store closed here.

The same holds true for trouser socks. I usually purchase the "extended" size in Legacy Trouser (not compression) socks because they blend with my work pants or jeans and have a comfortable band beneath the knee. (I've tossed several that got holes after only 1-2 wearings.)

But really, a 9 1/2 women's shoe is not an "extended" size anymore. And what is the "extended" label? Most of my millennial child's female friends wear a larger shoe size than I do. Women's shoes are offered in Size 12+. I recently wanted No-Show socks for my sneakers and ended up buying Calvin Klein Men's size 7-12 no-show socks. Really.

*I want a sock that fits in foot length, ankle/leg length, & around.

*I want a sock that does not have a skinny band at the top that acts like a rubber band and leaves a red mark.

*I want a comfortable band on all of my socks. And, I want them to stay up.

*And I want style.

It seems like the shoe industry has stepped it up and recognized women's feet don't stop at size 8; it's past the time for sock manufacturers to step it up, too.

Honored Contributor

Re: What is it with Women's Socks?

amazon has womens socks that come in sizes. put "larger womens socks" or "extra large womens socks" in their search bar.

also check out bombas.com. they have three sizes in womens socks. s, m, l......a large is sized 11 - 13.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily 

I can relate.  I wear a 12 narrow shoe and socks that do not ride down on my heel or hurt my toes are difficult to come by.  

Esteemed Contributor

Try Bombas

Respected Contributor

I gave up & buy men's socks... Gold Toe quarter athletic are my favorite.

Honored Contributor

I wear a size 11 shoe. I buy men's long dress socks at Walmart. They look just like trouser socks. Phooey with the limited choices in women's hosiery.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

And on the other foot, I want a sock that the heel doesn't climb up out of my shoe and stick out over the back.

I despise wearing sox! 

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I gave up & buy men's socks... Gold Toe quarter athletic are my favorite.

I have many pairs - lengths and colors - of Gold Toe socks. They're so soft and comfortable - and last many years. They have a website goldtoe dot com - and they're always having sales.

Valued Contributor

I wear same shoe size (91/2N) but don't have problem you describe with socks.  I usually buy Gold Toe women's socks.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@D Kay wrote:

I wear same shoe size (91/2N) but don't have problem you describe with socks.  I usually buy Gold Toe women's socks.

I wear size 9-1/2N or 10N -- also usually wear Gold Toe -- and have never had a problem either