Frequent Contributor

I used to order regularly but have been so disappointed that many of the designer brands are not being presented on air and those that are presented are few and far between. D&C , Lori Goldstein , Susan Graver ( the prices for items are rarely under $50.. really?)

are being pushed over and over again. Thank goodness we still have Isaac M. and Liz C. fashions to view . Even the cosmetic and beauty brands have been limited to a few. I have always enjoyed the variety of fashion and beauty shows and brands  offered by the Q in the past but it seems the executives there now have ruined what was a deightful, informative and varied product line and gone to just a few which are presented over and over again. If this was done to inrease their bottom line it is a mistake because it will drive viewers , like me , to other home shopping channels or to the brick and mortar stores. Limiting merchandise and raising prices is not a formula for success.

Honored Contributor

Re: What is happening to QVC?

They are going more and more toward house brands--brands owned and manufactured by QVC.  The "fashions" are basically all the same with slight variations in fit or pattern, probably all made by the same stable of manufacturers in China.

Oddly enough, the cooking section has gone more or less the opposite direction, now offering more major brands they used to slam.  

Odd isn't it?  But there are no more small makers, I guess they simply sell too much to cope with small producers.

Respected Contributor

Fashion on the Q is definitely in a rut.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

I suspect many of us have quit buying due to what is being offered - high fashion styles that we wouldn't wear - poor quality so we have to spend more $$ to return the product and on it goes.  Perhaps the Q is feeling a pitch cuz I read on here they are laying off hundreds of people, even in West Chester, and adding Poland as one of their sub-contractors (for what I don't know).  Personally I don't trust their quality - their sizing - or their honesty anymore.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner I agree with all of you.  There isn't much to chose from anymore.  I shop everything from QVC and a few things from HSN.  I have a bad back so I don't shop in stores, QVC is convenient.

However, I don't watch it like I used to.  I am tired....soooo tired...of the same shoes, the same purses, the same stuff.

They used to offer such a variety.  I have lost a few pounds over the years but I still have much of the same things from QVC even 5 or 6 years ago.  These products are good quality products that are no longer offered.

They are still around it's just that all QVC offers is the same stuff!  It used to be fun to turn on QVC and see different things that you might not see in a department store.  Not anymore!

I just talked to a girl on Friday (I love talking to strangers) and I always say, "Everything you see on me is QVC".  They laugh and many people say, "I used to shop QVC but I got tired of them showing the same things in the past year.  I stopped shopping there".  It happens a lot!

Too bad for QVC because they have the ability brick and mortar (as they call it) stores don't have, the variations are limitless.

Go over to HSN they offer many, many products.  I don't shop there often (mainly electronics) because I am old(er) and don't wear those clothes.  However, they have amazing varieties.

Honored Contributor

What they sell is not fashion, it's clothes. There is nothing wrong with that , but when try to tell you that simple utilitarian clothes are hip and high fashion, they just look foolish.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

What they sell is not fashion, it's clothes. There is nothing wrong with that , but when try to tell you that simple utilitarian clothes are hip and high fashion, they just look foolish.

I agree, and what I buy from them is basic, casual, around-the-house to grocery store stuff.  Pants.  I would pay more for them if the material were as nice as it used to be.  GLADLY pay more.  All I want is a comfy casual house/errand elastic waist pant.  UP THE GRADE on the cloth please!  For fashion, I usually shop Talbots (that's as fashion forward as I go--I know I know).

I don't have time to shop around for my basic clothes, I don't spend much time on stuff like that, so to me QVC is wonderful for that.  I quit buying their t shirts though because LL Bean pima is the greatest t-shirts I know of!  Land's end a second and QVC is wayi back in the pack on that.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 WOW!  That is well put kitty.  I totally agree.  I wear those clothes (Denim and Co, Liz Claiborn, Isaac and so on).  I agree they aren't especially 'stylish' and I wear and like them.

I think I am their target audience (maybe now I'm getting a little old for them (70 this year).  However, my guess is most of their audience is around 50's and on.  Many are retired and like sensible clothes that aren't expensive.  

I don't mind paying for something if I think it's worth it.  I don't have a problem with most of their clothing prices.  If I don't want it, I don't buy it..... period.

But back to your post.  You made a lot of sense.  Do you listen to the people who call in?  They sound exactly like I just described.  Nothing wrong with that, that's their target audience and I guess that's why they sell what they do, sensible but not up to the date styled clothes.

I guess they have to say they are.  However, I am realistic and know I'm not a 'fashion model'.   Never was.  I just tune them out when they start talking about style.  

I know I sound like a broken record and I don't buy clothes from there but it's very obvious the difference between HSN and QVC as far as what they offer.  I don't know anything about HSN quality of clothes, I just know some of them (not all) look like they might appeal to younger people.

But then when I go into Kohls (I go in there with my friend and look around, not often though), I don't see much difference.  Now if I want to see stylish clothes I will go into 'the city' (in my case Washington, DC and even some upscale stores in Fairfax and definitely in Bethesda, Maryland (Gucci, etc).

But my doctor and dentist and pharmacist and restaurants I go to wouldn't be impressed.  That's where I go so QVC clothes fit me fine.

Trusted Contributor

I recently saw a statistic that said in 2014 QVC shipped 173 million products.  Personally I think that shows that there isn't anything bad "happening to QVC".  I am in my 60's and yes, I buy less now than before but not because there is anything "wrong" with their offerings - I just don't need as much since I retired and downsized.   They have well educated and experienced busness people running their global operation & IMO they have a good handle on how to run the business and to appeal to new customers.   A business like this can't do thngs the way they were done 20 or 30 years ago.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

You are spot on....................clothes, not fashion.  Reply to Sooner.......................