Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is going on with Denim & Co. PRICES!

I buy on sale and hope they have my size

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama, I think your right about this season with less lights. I'm thinking, too, that because of the China news many retailers won't be buying stuff to put on the stores shelves and there might be slim-pickins waay to soon ahead of the peak shopping season. People might be left with empty shopping bags because of that or because they simply won't be able to afford to buy what will be there...which might not be much.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@magicmoodz  This is my goal also..small wardrobe of quality garments based on essentially a color palette that can be interchanged.  I have a way to go, but  consistently releasing clothing/shoes and purchasing few significant items that meet my parameters.

@magicmoodz wrote:

I was just reading the thread about "fast fashion". By default perhaps the changing world will in fact force us to go back to curating a wardrobe the way our parents did, buying far less, real quality items. 

I am just as guilty as the next person shopping as a hobby, but I long to own a small wardrobe comprised of high-end (that is subjective) garments.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I won't pay more than $30 for a top or $40 for pants.  While items in this price range may be considered "lesser quality" I have never gotten rid of an item because it wore out.  Mainly I either outgrew it--LOL!!-- or got bored with it so I won't pay the outrageous prices for SG, IM and now even D&C.

Macy's has plenty of tops in their Karen Scott, JM and Charter Club brands that are reasonably priced and good quality. 

I only buy from QVC/HSN when there has been a significant price reduction.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Prices are going to continue to go up with what is happening in the news lately with China. Doesn't look good and some of the things I've heard on the news is that we will have our jaws on the ground when we look at prices after this really takes hold... it's just the beginning.

Oh please!

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama  I normally buy my tees at JJill especially when they have a sale, I end up paying under $20 for one.  I bought a few for $12 each.  Now that's a sale.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Georgiagrama  I normally buy my tees at JJill especially when they have a sale, I end up paying under $20 for one.  I bought a few for $12 each.  Now that's a sale.

@Katcat1

I usually buy mine from Lands End.  I love their Supima tees. I just recently bought several on sale as well.  Now is a good time to buy short sleeved tees for next summer Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

My usual D&C purchases are those original waist pants.  I buy a couple of pairs every year.  I went down a size and slowly replacing the ones I'm donating.  I did try each of the recent TSV pants - not impressed with fabrics.  Don't understand what they were raving about.

So many places to shop.   Lately, I've been spending more at Chico's and LandsEnd.

Esteemed Contributor

I thought that they were the only resonable company with their prices. Can not buy tunics-added other material at bottom for I wouldn't look good at 5ft. Maybe it is the Q who wants more money for every one elses horrible prints too.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting comments. Maybe I'm transitioning to fewer, but quality clothes and didn't realize it. Thinking of my mother's closet. She and dad shared a closet with sliding doors. It was neat, but not packed with clothes or shoes. Their shoes were always polished and mom only had a few handbags - one for each season. Probably two winter coats. Although mom always looked for sales, she wouldn't buy an item unless she loved it and it was a favorite color. She wore her shoes for several years.  Always wore an apron in kitchen to protect her clothes. Fewer items, but quality. It's said we continually wear 20% of our wardrobe. Our parents must have only purchased 30% of what we do.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau