Super Contributor

What is a neutral color??? I think there is some confusion

Well, here is one definition ......

Neutral colors include hues like beige, black, gray, ivory, taupe and white. Neutral usually means without color, but these hues sometimes have faint undertones of blue, gold, peach, pink, tan and yellow.

Neutral colors do not show up on the color wheel. People in fashion, decorating and other professions that use colors prominently refer to neutral colors as earth tones. These colors have a flexibility and visual balance that works in a number of settings. They also have a classic, subtle feel in rooms, clothing and furniture that also make use of bolder and more vibrant colors in their designs.

What it is not...is a color that is the color of the day on QVC. Further, they do not spring forth on their own, and are not in the print family, nor animal print family. Just sayin....

Honored Contributor

Re: What is a neutral color??? I think there is some confusion

Neutral color could also mean colors that are neither warm or cool.

There are many shade of blues and green that fit this description.  They can be used equally with warm colors or cool colors.  A true navy blue is such an example of a neutral color.

There is no right or wrong with color.  

Honored Contributor

The Shopping Channel definition of neutral is much more like Switzerland! LOL

Honored Contributor

I agree that black, beige, gray and the white family including ivories, light colored taupes and in some cases, olive drab green (God made our grass green and every color flower goes with green).

Honored Contributor

In the pure sense...

Image result for what is a neutral color

Neutral Colors. In the context of interior design, neutral means without color. Neutrals such as beige, ivory, taupe, black, gray and shades of white appear to be without color, but in many applications these hues often have undertones.

(To say "Olive green is a neutral" isn't really true.  Actually, olive green can be used AS a neutral, but isn't a neutral in itself.)
Honored Contributor

Raise your hand if you didn't know that those colors were neutrals...LOL   It's not rocket science, it's opinion and marketing and not something that I take seriously.  I put red in the neutral category because I can wear red with almost everything.  QVC can call phosphorescent green a neutral if they want to, I don't care.  When I am deciding how much wear I can get out of a particular piece, I make that decisions.  Me.  It doesn't matter to me what a retailer or show host says.  

Honored Contributor

A color alone is meaningless until it is put up against another color. That's when you can experience a color's 'emotion' or lack of it (neutral).

Honored Contributor

Nancy  Reagan put red on the map. Fashion designers .at the time. were calling red neutral, because of her influence. It does mix very nicely with many other colors ,but, I wouldn't call it neutral

Honored Contributor

Reagan reds and Bush blues.

Honored Contributor

When I see "neutral" color I think this is something I can wear with any top (or bottom).