Super Contributor

What is Difference Between XL and 1X in Sizing

I recently went from a 2x to 1x in QVC sizes. I was looking at size chart and discovered that the only difference between 1x and XL  is one inch in waist, all other measurements are equal . Whereas with all the other sizes there is a 2-4 inch jump between sizes. It appears the plus sizes are longer in tops than misses sizes up to XL.  Do any of you find you can wear either XL and 1x without any problem? It opens up more selections if true , especially clearance and 'as is'.  I will have to try on some clothes in department store to see if same there . Not much selection for plus sizes at Mall. Thanks for any advice in advance ! Susi.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is Difference Between XL and 1X in Sizing

I have found at B&M stores that the 1X is cut fuller in the upper arms and body.  I have wide shoulders and love some 1X tops but they are too full just under the arms.

Super Contributor

Thank you. Guess I will have to venture into misses sizes to check out in person. Has been a long time since I have even looked at anything but 2 x. I did notice that some men's clothing , I think it was in Kohls, don't even make 1x, just XL and then 2x, which I thought was odd. It will be nice to have more options in store, but will stick with 1x for now on the Q to avoid exchanges.

Super Contributor

I appreciate that expanation , Zhills. I have been confused about XL and IX also.

Honored Contributor

Been my personal experience that a 1X is cut much larger than an XL all the way around.

Occasional Contributor

I ordered some capris in XL instead of my usual 1X and they actually seemed larger than the 1X. Maybe it was just the style.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes there isn't a difference in sizing of an XL and a 1X but a 1X is considered plus sizing while an XL is generally still considered a missy size so in a bricks and mortar store you may have to shop in two different parts of the store. A 1X may or may not have a fuller bust and upper arms in a top and it may be longer than a 1X.

Macy's carries their I.N.C. Concepts line of clothes in missy and plus sizing so if you are in that store, look at both the missy and plus sizes. I.N.C. in Macy's also starts at a 0X while in Canada, they only carry 1X -3X at Hudson's Bay. I just bought a 1X I.N.C. Concepts top on sale at Hudson's Bay but it fit small which is why they had all the plus sizes left but I could tell that just from looking at the garment on the hanger. I also find that I.N.C. Concepts is cut smaller than their sister brand Style & Co.

Honored Contributor

@Susic wrote:

I recently went from a 2x to 1x in QVC sizes. I was looking at size chart and discovered that the only difference between 1x and XL  is one inch in waist, all other measurements are equal . Whereas with all the other sizes there is a 2-4 inch jump between sizes. It appears the plus sizes are longer in tops than misses sizes up to XL.  Do any of you find you can wear either XL and 1x without any problem? It opens up more selections if true , especially clearance and 'as is'.  I will have to try on some clothes in department store to see if same there . Not much selection for plus sizes at Mall. Thanks for any advice in advance ! Susi.

Look at the actual garment measurements that are usually linked in the listing. @Susic

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Contributor

When shopping for clothes here at the Q, I always go to the "click here" garment measurements to compare XL and 1X sizes.  Generally speaking, I find that 1X often has a little more room in the waist, but is slimmer throughout the legs.  Also, 1X often has shorter sleeves, and a shorter armhole height, which is important for bra coverage on sleeveless tops.  1X sized tops usually have a longer length, so if I'm looking for coverage when wearing slim bottoms, I'll often go with the 1X.  For the most part, I am usually fine ordering either size, it just depends on the fit I'm wanting from a particular item.  HTH!