Esteemed Contributor

First, I want to note that I was a big Joan Rivers fan. I loved her on Fashion Police and think Melissa did a great job producing the show. The initial return after Joan's untimely death was a failure but I think the new format is a significant improvement. I watched Fashion Police last night. I hardly recognized Melissa. Joan often used her numerous plastic and cosmetic procedures as part of her comedy. Melissa is not a comedienne but she is certainly carrying on her mother's surgical tradition. Her face was puffy and eerily smooth. Her eyes were set at a different angle and almost disappeared into her edemic face. It made me sad to see a woman in her mid forties, albeit in Hollywood, feel the need to do this to herself. 

Valued Contributor

Re: What happened to Melissa?

I didn't see any changes in Melissa's appearance.  I thought she looked lovely.

Respected Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Her face was puffy and eerily smooth. Her eyes were set at a different angle and almost disappeared into her edemic face. It made me sad to see a woman in her mid forties, albeit in Hollywood, feel the need to do this to herself. 

I have to agree. I was flipping channels the other day and we came upon FP, until she spoke 3 of my friends argued it was not Melissa.  !!  We did not stay on the show long enough to figure out what was wrong, but I felt bad for her.

Frequent Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Her face was puffy and eerily smooth. Her eyes were set at a different angle and almost disappeared into her edemic face. It made me sad to see a woman in her mid forties, albeit in Hollywood, feel the need to do this to herself. 

I have to agree. I was flipping channels the other day and we came upon FP, until she spoke 3 of my friends argued it was not Melissa.  !!  We did not stay on the show long enough to figure out what was wrong, but I felt bad for her.

That's a shame because Melissa didn't need any work done.  Unfortunately I think women are having good cosmetic surgery earlier.   I wonder what they'll look like in their senior years.  I hate seeing beautiful young women undergoing surgery and looking odd. Speaking of some women who says they haven't succumbed to cosmetic surgery,  have you seen Raquel Welch?   Absolutely stunning woman. 

Contributor

Absolutely agree - I could not believe that her eyes are now taking the shape of her mother's - so angular and Asian in appearance and she was puffy - first I thought she could have been up all night preparing for the show, but then again, this was strikingly different from her appearance on the first show she had this month - Why would she do this???

Honored Contributor

Don't some women elect to have cosmetic surgery for psychological reasons?

I think dear Joan did that during her long successful career.

Melissa lived through terrible times during her mother's death. I too think she looked lovely before, but if she wishes to "refresh", it's OK with me, even though I don't think she needed it.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

For a young woman, Melissa has had A TON of plastic surgery... her face is tight, puffed and pulled. Definite brow lift... lots of botox... REALLY SAD.

It is sad that Melissa  listened to Joan who probably told Melissa she had to start doing plastic surgery young.  Joan ended up not even looking like herself at all if you look at her younger pictures.. I just do not understand what Joan was thinking as she ended up looking very scary and unattractive and still old even with the tons of makeup she had on for pictures. I have nothing against the woman, just feel sorry she felt so insecure in herself that she could not just be HERSELF.

Honored Contributor

I don't think Joan ever considered herself to be an attractive woman and I think that was the initial pull for the plastic surgery. I think as she aged she just became addicted to it, I think Melissa is headed down that road too.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't see the show but I have had plastic surgery after weight loss and I am older.  But, I went to a very good plastic surgeon in NYC and he has a celebrity clientele.  He stated that it is a problem when women and men too I guess start plastic surgery too young.  It is different if you have a nose fixed for a particular flaw or problem once but to have repeated surgeries as you age is a problem.  You end up with lesser than optimal results, complications like scar tissue and often, very uncomfortable as you lose the sensation in your skin from repeated intervention and skin being pulled so taught.  Your expression can change or ability to smile or raise your eyebrows...as much as I loved  Joan and it was a source of material for her in comedy, most of us are not performers and you can wind up looking hideous and feeling terrible physically and psychologically.  I am not against plastic surgery but it should be done when you really need it. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I miss Fashion Police, but will no longer watch as long as that awful Nene person is on.  Smiley Mad