Esteemed Contributor

Re: What ever happened to buttons on cardigans and coats?

@GenXmuse wrote:

No. No buttons, no buy. 

I'm with you ... I want buttons. I live where it gets very windy ... the fly away look is not my friend. I also look better w/ a bit of shaping at the waist ... butttons are my friend when it comes to giving me a nice hourglass look.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

@janesilver   First of all--welcome to the forums.  Fashion should spell fun and freedom for the individual, in my opinion. 

I am thin, underweight in fact, almost always feel cold, and want sweaters (unless they are pullovers) and jackets, blazers, and coats that have buttons.  I prefer a polished, tailored, classic look and love wearing hats.  I love wearing pearls though I seldom clutch them.  

I believe in live and let live.  So it is wonderful that we have access to such wide choice, especially because of the internet.

I do have a couple of those thin dusters that have been popular, but I wear them for looks, not warmth.

I love natural fabrics--wool, linen, silk, and cotton and wear ruanas quite a bit since they are so versatile.  My son bought one for me and ever since I have been enamored of them.

I have never had any talent in the sewing area and unless it is for a very special occasion do not want to have to pay for tailoring.

I was able to get my mother-of-the-bride outfits in the right size right off the rack, since the sizing in some of the higher end off the rack labels is more reliable and the smallest sizes (which I can wear) don't sell out as quickly.

Interesting topic, by the way;  I've enjoyed reading all the answers.  And, again, welcome.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

I seldom if ever buy a piece that can't be worn in more than one way, I love versatility in my garments, so the no button thing is a big no for me

I'm not as big a stickler for buttons when it comes to vests

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Coats and anything designed as cold weather outerwear - yes - must have buttons, zipper or snaps.  I don't do belts on coats, etc.  

Cardigans - majority have no buttons.  They are almost all Chanel style buttonless sweaters.  Like this shape.  I use sweater chains and clips.

I prefer cardigans with closures.  Channel jackets typically have hook and eye closures, or buttons.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought one of those fly-away, buttonless sweaters once...  I spent the day pulling it closed and adjusting the shoulders.  Drove me crazy!    Since then, I only buy cardigans and jackets that button, snap, or zip.  Gives me a choice to wear open or closed - and fits me much better.

I like those fly-away styles on others, just not on me.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Frequent Contributor

@ROMARY , I honestly don't remember what I paid, although usually I have never had more than 2 put on a cardigan. I think it was $10 each.

Yes, buttons are easy -- but button holes are another story -- unless you're very brave, which I have been on certain older cardigans.  I just cut the button hole with a tiny scissors slit and then stitch up around it.  It actually worked, twice.  I am thinking about making a practice out of it.  I've also sewn snaps, which works OK.  I've done magnets, which (no joke) have caused me to be pulled into a grocery cart ( well, not me, but the sweater) or the washing machine at home.  I thought magnets were the most brilliant idea, but I was really wrong.  When they weren't pulling me into metal things, they were falling off and getting lost.

Honored Contributor

Very funny, regarding the magnets!!  

Something I wouldn't think about...........magnets attaching onto washers and shopping carts...............

lol....

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

@ROMARY Thanks for the welcome.  I do know the term "OP" because I am a huge Nextdoor user.  Are you familiar with that?  It is nice to see that you are actually online now.  That's one of the things I like about Nextdoor.

Frequent Contributor

@kelsey17  OMG right no no no zippers.  My original post was referring to no closures at all, but zippers are just as bad as nothing.   Gotta have old fashioned buttons on a cardigan is my humble opinion.

Frequent Contributor

@ROMARY  It was funny with the magnets, and I am not kidding.  All of a sudden my sweater would be attached to the shopping cart in the store.   I don't think anyone ever noticed, but it does slow you down.  You can't imagine how many things have metal in them until you walk around with a magnet on your chest.