Honored Contributor

Re: What ever happened to buttons on cardigans and coats?

Now that I'm thinking about it, many years ago, we used to have a fabric store which sold sewing machines, and  there often was  someone in the window working on folks' various items.  I guess she was also making button holes for customers.

I should check out other nearby fabric stores........maybe they have sewer employees that, for a fee, wouldn't mind making button holes for customers.

All in all, great idea, O/P

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Coats and anything designed as cold weather outerwear - yes - must have buttons, zipper or snaps.  I don't do belts on coats, etc.  

Cardigans - majority have no buttons.  They are almost all Chanel style buttonless sweaters.  Like this shape.  I use sweater chains and clips.

@ALRATIBA 

That is an excellent picture of a sweater/cardi type I would never want buttons on!

I don't think having no buttons makes a sweater look cheap at all, just like the above picture shows.

It depends on the style.

You can have a cheap quality sweater With buttons!

Besides, I am shaped like a tree trunk with no waist.  Buttoning a sweater closed would make that even more obvious!  LOL  The open look draws your eye in and I can pretend I have a waist.  For my body shape, it is much more slimming open.

Trusted Contributor

Having no buttons is a cost saver. They still charge the same for a garment with buttons, though.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Valued Contributor

Here's my best guess. I am cold nature and my cardigans that don't close aren't warm enough in colder weather. Maybe we prefer either open or close based on how warm or cold natured we are? I love the look of long cardigans or dusters but I am too short and they make me look childish. I recently bought two heavy cotton denim and co sweaters with belts, simply to keep the front closed. Does make me look big hipped. LOL. But of course, the belt loops arrived torn out from poor sewing quality. I fixed them. 

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife 

That's a classic shape - the jacket to our high school uniform (1956-60) was a "Chanel" style - no buttons.  

----------------------------------------------

@RespectLife wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@ALRATIBA 

That is an excellent picture of a sweater/cardi type I would never want buttons on!

Honored Contributor

Since you are new to this community, Welcome!!  

Whenever I say O/P, it means original poster or original post.  

Anyway, wishing you lots of fun and useful information!

Keep posting.............Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I definitly prefer buttons over zippers..........on sweaters, coats, vests, etc...

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

It reminds me of something in the Linea line...sophisticated, classic!

He designs both with buttons/closures and without.  I think his line is excellent quality.

Honored Contributor

I just don't buy cardigans, jackets, etc. with no closure.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I tend to wear more hoodies and sweatshirts in the fall rather than sweaters but I do love to wrap myself up in a BD buttonless cardi on the couch.  I don't look particularly good in a structured sweater buttoned so if I had one I would not button it.  Coats on the other hand need closures but I rarely button them either.  A style for all