Honored Contributor

Re: What ever happened to buttons on cardigans and coats?

I wear both styles

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@janesilver.  You've hit upon one of my pet peeves.  I will not buy a jacket with no buttons.  It's a "trend" designers started to be able to manufacture on the cheap.  Same with fringe hems.  Fortunately I'm able to fix these things myself.

It's exactly that. And I'm not buying them, that's for sure. I've seen so many cheap outs lately. My goal is to buy less, buy better quality...don't care if I spend more because the cheap products are way overpriced and should be sold at Walmart for the fabrics, construction, and one-size-fits-no one, (properly)... on them. Easy pass.

Respected Contributor

@santorini wrote:

I have the opposite opinion.  I avoid the ones with buttons and only wear the button-free cardigans.  

A "fly-away" cardi is okay, constructed to actually "work" without buttons, but no way on the coats or anything that just doesn't work because it's simply not finished properly, but cheaply.

Respected Contributor

@Pecky wrote:

I prefer no buttons as I never button anything.  It feels to confining.

I can understand that, as I often don't close things, yet, as the other poster said...I'd rather buy something constructed properly with buttons, that is finished, and leave it open, as they are usually a better, more precise fit...I mean with a few exceptions that might look sloppy open and are meant to be buttoned. 

Respected Contributor

I think body type might play into it also. Nothing unbuttoned lays flat on me because I'm far from flat to begin with. I need a button or zipper, or hook & eye. 

Honored Contributor

I think a lot depends on where you live.  If I lived in the frozen north and had long winters it might be different but I rarely need more than a wrap and I despise buttons. 

Especially the fiddly ones on sweaters.  Who wants to mess with that.

Frequent Contributor

I just joined this forum thing, so not sure where to reply.  I am so happy to see so many responses to my original post.  Honestly, cardigans without buttons do look good, but I have always been one to use the buttons on a cardigan or jacket.  Especially on a coat or jacket, the purpose is to keep warm...  

Esteemed Contributor

Imho this buttonless look has become a trend 'cause it's cheaper for manufacture.

Me, I like a little of both.

Does anyone remember the D&C zip sweaters?  Wish they'd still make them.

Honored Contributor

Coats and anything designed as cold weather outerwear - yes - must have buttons, zipper or snaps.  I don't do belts on coats, etc.  

Cardigans - majority have no buttons.  They are almost all Chanel style buttonless sweaters.  Like this shape.  I use sweater chains and clips.

Honored Contributor

Hey, what a great idea...........having buttons and button holes placed on a cardigan!

May I ask the price range of, say, having a seamstress make six button holes and attach pre-purchased buttons?

I know prices differ in various areas.

Actually, I can sew on my own buttons, but cannot make the holes.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).