Honored Contributor

Re: What does "athletic build" mean to you?

To me it would be well defined muscles, like someone in the Olympics might have.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva

you realize your comments could be perceived to have a racist overtone?

I merely asked about a perception problem based on the examples  the person selected to use and how that poster chose to describe cetain *athletic* women.

I believe as women we get enough bombardment from media/society about what an acceptable female shape *should* be. If you're a thin woman ... you might get called out for having *eating issues*. If you are larger than a size 8 ... you might be referred to as hefty, chunky or yes ... even *athletic*. Sometimes your shape is predetermined by genetics.

Why are we, as women, calling out other women with our word choices about their appearance? Does your appearance make you better or worse person than the woman standing next to you?

And I don't think women of color should be called manly or big butted because their looks do not conform to some Anglo Saxon version of womenhood.

michelle O.png

Just my opinion, but I do think MO's athletic build looks pretty awesome.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Trusted Contributor

I'd describe the fitness instructors at my gym as having an "athletic build". There's no way you'd describe any of them as fat or stocky.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

To me athletic build conjures up the image of someone who is lean, toned with defined muscles.Especially in the arms and legs.  I also think of broader shoulders and good collar bone definition.  To me they look like they could run a good marathon.

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty  that's a great description!

Honored Contributor

Toned body, muscle definition, no excess fat visible. Athletic, to me, does not mean chunky, or curvy (aka QVC hosts' definition). We all know the hosts are trying to be PC in their description of who can wear the items they are trying to sell us. lol
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

To me, it means a higher than average muscle-to-fat ratio for women. I don't think it refers to size.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

To add to my description below of athletic build.  I visualise someone who you could bounce nickels off their abdomen, LOL! Most professional runners/jumpers, marathon and athletes usually fit the description of athletic build. And to add to more of the insult of many athletes, I see a true athletic build as being a little taller than 5'6 for women and 5.11 for men.  Snicks is right in my athletic vision...I do not include real curvy.  Usually an athletic built women is narrower through the hips and smaller busted. But, this is just in my mind.

Contributor

When I say it in my in reviews I'm referring to my calves and thighs.  From years of being an avid walker, and gym rat, my calves and thighs are muscular....no flab....like Serena's. They're hard to fit in slim leg pants or knee boots, but they still look great in pumps.

Honored Contributor

Cindy Crawford, unretouched

cindy crawford.jpg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~