Super Contributor

What does it mean? Size descriptions on Ebay

I am looking at clothing items on Ebay. Mainly jackets. 

I am looking in the women's clothing section and I see that some sellers will give the size like- Size S or Size 6 but add Junior fit or state Size 6 women/junior.

What does that mean, the junior part. These are not kid's clothes but women's items.

I have bought a few things already, described in this manner and they fit fine, just like my regular size so I'm confused.

It always puts me off a little, makes me worry that it might not fit. I never shop junior clothes on purpose.

Honored Contributor

Re: What does it mean? Size descriptions on Ebay

[ Edited ]

@c_la_vee wrote:

I am looking at clothing items on Ebay. Mainly jackets. 

I am looking in the women's clothing section and I see that some sellers will give the size like- Size S or Size 6 but add Junior fit or state Size 6 women/junior.

What does that mean, the junior part. These are not kid's clothes but women's items.

I have bought a few things already, described in this manner and they fit fine, just like my regular size so I'm confused.

It always puts me off a little, makes me worry that it might not fit. I never shop junior clothes on purpose.

@c_la_vee  When I used to buy a lot of clothing at a couple of the major department stores, when I worked, I bought juniors (not only because I was rather young starting out) as the clothes fit my body type better.  They seemed for a younger body type, a shorter body even.  Juniors have longer rises because their butts are usually bigger and developing.  Even older, as I am long waisted, I can wear a junior better in some clothing.  As I have aged, I wear even sizes but until I went through menopause I mostly wore junior sizes.  My bust was bigger, my breasts were firmer but as we begin to widen through the hips and breasts begin to sag, we have to go to misses sizes.  Juniors have more butt and less hips.  Misses have more hips and less butts as gravity begins to overtake the body.  Breasts are perkier in a junior and not so in a misses.  Waists are probably smaller as well.  Juniors are the odd sizes, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13.  Missses are even sizes 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18.

Super Contributor

Thanks for explaining.

I don't know about my butt Cat Embarassed but my breasts are small so they don't sag so maybe that's it.

Valued Contributor

When in doubt, ask the seller if they can post a picture of the label,

with the size shown.

Also, be careful with overseas shopping - their sizes can be very different.

Finally, look to see if the measurements are there.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometimes I've noticed a description saying the fit is a junior fit even though it is a women's size 2,4,6...etc. I take this as meaning the garment is most likely going to fit with less curves in it. In other words, the junior fit is made for a body  that doesn't measure much differently between bust, waist and hip...more straight up and down and not curvy. 

I have bought junior sized garments before. A skirt I got fit me in the hips but the waist was a bit too large. This says the junior cut is straight up and down where the waist is nearly the same size as the hip measurements. Blouses and tops will be cut narrower in the shoulders and sleeves will also be cut narrower.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Junior sizes are and always were too tight everywhere for me, even way back when I actually was a 'junior' in age.   I would always need to go up a size.

Honored Contributor

Most Ebay sellers will give the chest measurement flat from armhole to armhole with the garment laying down.  If they don't, ask for it.  You can translate that to your current wardrobe or QVC sizes if that is what you wear now. 

Super Contributor

@shoppersince1989

That's good advice and I usually do look for the measurements, unless I'm familiar witht the line. I have also found that some sellers don't measure accurately!

I bought some things from China and you're right, Asian sizes are another thing completely, I had to size up but the fashions were cute and only sold by Asian sellers.

@SilleeMee

OK, that makes sense about junior sizes.

My confusion is that they are using the term to describe women's clothing. For example Free People's line of clothing.

I am 5'7", I guess average woman's height, have a waistline, smaller than my hips so don't want straight up and down, on top I can probably get away with it because like I said, I have small breasts and narrow shoulders.

I just saw one seller going as far as describing the size as woman-girl-junior, really????

@PhilaLady1you were probably curvy early on Smiley Happy Unlike us who were stick girls Cat Wink

@depglass  Yes thanks, measurements always help when they are included. As a matter of fact if they say the size is woman/junior and doesn't give measurements, I don't buy.