Honored Contributor

Re: What does classic style mean to you?

Classic is the opposite of trendy

Trendy is tied to a certain time, classic can be worn any time & be fashionable.

I prefer classic, but I do mix in some trendy for some occasions.

I've seen designers take a classic look & make it trendy.  It's still trendy.

Trendy to me is a little more informal.    I can put together a classic outfit & go anywhere, cocktail party, picnic anywhere & not be over dressed or under dressed.

If you have a big personality, people probably expect trendy from you & you can make it work in different environments but not many people can get away with that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo  When I think of classic, the first word that came to my mind is Talbots.  Conservative and classic.  Although I do not shop at Talbots, I do like some pieces from JJill and Nordstrom.  I am somewhat classic but like a little edge sometimes.  I don't shop at Talobts because I feel their sales are not very good and their prices are high.  I receive better sales at JJill and Nordstrom.  With being retired I am casual all the time.  Jeans, pants, blouses, tees.  Life is simple and wonderful even in quarantine!  Cat Very HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Anything Kate Middleton wears, and anything Robin Roberts wears on Good Morning America.  These two ladies sums it up for me.

Honored Contributor

I think of Joan Rivers and Barbara Walters when I think of classic style. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To me classic style is clothing that's timeless. Well tailored pieces that can stand the test of time.

Like a basic cashmere sweater, a well tailored classic blazer, a turtleneck, a trench coat. Sheath dresses that don't reveal too much. Straight leg tailored pants. Shirt dresses. Button down oxford style shirts. 

I immediately think of Ralph Lauren when I think of classic style. You can have classic style and jazz it up with  trendy jewelry, scarves, shoes, and handbags.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

Iwantcoffee:

Thanks for the photos!

I guess that's my style, more or less.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Classic styles for me is conservative clothing like suits, dresses or even casual type clothing that is never controversional and does not stand out in a crowd.  In the  50's and early 60's a cookie cutter look was mostly all you could get.  For some that is right for them but stiffling for many like me who just didn't like being boxed in having to dress to fit in! 

@Pook 

@Andreatoo 

As a classic dresser I agree with the fact that lots of classic pieces are more conservative, not controversial, and generally less showy. I disagree that classic never stands out in a crowd. A great classic can be just as compelling visually; it just depends on how the total look, including hair & makeup, is put together. I think classic shapes in prints instead of solids is one way a classic piece can be more interesting. 

I also disagree with the idea that “cookie cutter” is limited  to classic styles. If a bunch of women are wearing jeans, tops, blazers, and loafers how is that any more cookie cutter than a group of women all wearing leggings, long flowy tops, and sneakers? Both groups are copying a general style formula, and therefore, could be described as “cookie cutter” to some extent. 

I am so glad there are lots of choices for women in clothing now. Even though I love the styles of the past, there were definitely more rigid rules and expectations for us. Having the freedom to mix different pieces and not be boxed into one style of clothing is great! 

Honored Contributor

@wilma   Classic can definitely stand out in a crowd of conservative classic dressers.  I would call someone wearing jeans, tops, blazers with loafers classic casual.  I would call leggings, long flowing tops and sneakers casual dressers who have a cookie cutter look consisting of what is being commonly sold and who usually do not step out of the box to wear or even want to wear something that is not seen over and over.  

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

To me classic style is clothing that's timeless. Well tailored pieces that can stand the test of time.

Like a basic cashmere sweater, a well tailored classic blazer, a turtleneck, a trench coat. Sheath dresses that don't reveal too much. Straight leg tailored pants. Shirt dresses. Button down oxford style shirts. 

I immediately think of Ralph Lauren when I think of classic style. You can have classic style and jazz it up with  trendy jewelry, scarves, shoes, and handbags.

@Greeneyedlady21 

ITA.  

The 2 names that came to mind right away were Chanel and Ralph Lauren.

Respected Contributor

To me an example of lovely classic style is Linea here on Q.

When Louis dresses his models they look very ‘stylish but classic’  always beautifully  put together.  Look no further he has perfect examples.