Occasional Contributor

What do you wear to feel put together in the summer?

I feel like I am having trouble this summer feeling put together when I go somewhere. I have lots of clothes but I just don't feel right or good in them. Of course, in Michigan this year it can be 90 one day and 70 the next. Added to that I have gained weight and now in my early 60's. So anyone in similar situations I would appreciate hearing from. Thank you!
Honored Contributor

Re: What do you wear to feel put together in the summer?

Over the years I've developed a collection of plain cotton/modal tops in neutrals and jewel colors that I pair with ankle length crisp but light cropped pants/Capri pants and dressy flat sandals, some Vionics, some Birks, some generic.

I throw on some jewelry and I'm out the door.

Wish I'd figured this out before I retired. My life would have been SO much easier!

Occasional Contributor

We are about the same age.  This time of year my wardrobe consists of maxi or midi dresses which hide a multitude of sins. Also, I love 1 piece dressing. So easy for summer. I also feel comfortable in capris and a tunic top. Both are appropriate to go just about anywhere and can be dressed up or down with your accessories. I live in Connecticut so it can be 90 one day and 70 the next here too.  

Honored Contributor

I'm retired, 61 yy. When I was working I wore a uniform so when I retired I was left with having to buy real clothes for the first time in my life! It's been a life-changing event, let me tell you. 

These days hanging around the house doesn't require a whole lotta thinking when it comes to choosing what to wear...mostly maxies or lounge dresses in the summer, which many of these can be worn elsewhere, out of the house. I also wear crop jeans with tees and Skechers GoWalks or sandals. And of course, my hoop earrings and sometimes a bracelet. Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

I too am about your age.  I know what I am about to say may not be received well by everyone, but it is what I have honestly experienced lately.  For the past few years, I just didn't feel comfortable in my own skin,  I hated having to get dressed to go out of the house.  A few months ago my hubby and I began a low carb diet and we both lost 20-25 pounds.  I realize that my extra weight was what was making me feel like I did.  Just taking control of your body through diet and exercise can have a great impact on ones state of mind.  It's not always about the clothes.

Honored Contributor

Four months of 105 ++ heat in PHX for 4 months..............everybody dresses for the heat, not fashion (!)    Yeah.....everything is air-conditioned........but you still have to get from your car to the destination on foot............and the pavement here reaches 160° to 180°.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Occasional Contributor

Kardi,
I know that is part of the problem. I'm working on it but in the meantime...
Occasional Contributor

Violann, Annalise New, and Sillee Mee, I appreciate your suggestions.
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Four months of 105 ++ heat in PHX for 4 months..............everybody dresses for the heat, not fashion (!)    Yeah.....everything is air-conditioned........but you still have to get from your car to the destination on foot............and the pavement here reaches 160° to 180°.............

I agree. To hot to be fashionable. Shorts, capris and a shirt. Nothing fancy. 

Honored Contributor

Gaining weight makes clothes fit differently so you may not feel as comfortable in them as you used to. Maybe go shopping and see if you feel better in clothes that fit you now. And keep working on losing what you gained. I know that can be hard to do.