Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think of this dress?

@kob21 wrote:

I like this style for a spring coat. Not so much for a dress though.

@kob21

It reminds me of something that Kate would wear.  

Honored Contributor

I would not wear the first one ever.  Period.

I probably wouldn't wear the second one because I don't think it would look good on me.  But it is not ugly.

Honored Contributor

The second dress pictured...what's up with the funky sleeve length? Don't care for that, and agree with another poster who said would be better as a spring coat, with full length sleeves.
"To each their own, in all things".
Frequent Contributor

I concur: It would look smashing on Kate Middleton. Not-so-much on me and my long torso / short legs fashion challenge!

Honored Contributor

I like it but I would add a metallic or some type of interesting belt to liven it up.  

Honored Contributor

Re dress #2, coat dresses were very popular with ladies in professional careers in the late 60s and early 70s.  This one would be perfect if it had self-buttons.  The dark buttons on the dress make it look an afterthought.  

Esteemed Contributor

Put full length sleeves on the pink dress and it would be a complete winner for me. Reminds me of one of my favorite dresses ever, only mine was black. 👍

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

I had a dress similar to the second one y-e-a-r-s ago in cranberry.  Long sleeves and six brushed gold buttons.  That dress got a lot of compliments but I always struggled to keep it from opening too much when I sat down and crossed my legs.

Honored Contributor

$2,140

Delicate hand-crocheted insets offer an alluring glimpse of skin in a meticulously crafted bandage gown that takes three days to complete. A lipstick shade of red draws attention to the enviable silhouette.

• 56" length (size Medium).
  • Hidden back-zip closure.
  • V-neck.
  • Sleeveless.
  • Unlined.
  • 90% rayon, 9% nylon, 1% spandex.
  • Dry clean.
  • By Herve Leger; imported.
  • Collectors.
Trusted Contributor

I agree with those who have stated the first dress looks like a hospital gown or a salon smock. It's too long, looks cheap, and nothing about it is flattering.

I also agree with the poster who said the second (pink) dress looks like a Spring coat. It's not unattractive, but the sleeves are too short for my taste, and I don't particularly care for the style. 

The Herve Leger dress is okay, but I am sort of tired of his bandage dresses and all its iterations. I'm also not crazy about the horizontal crochet banding around the bottom because it reminds me of lines a seamstress would use to shorten the dress. 

So far, none of these dresses are doing it for me personally, but that's okay. Different strokes for different folks. 

Are you shopping for a dress, Lola, or just polling our tastes?