Respected Contributor

Re: What do you think of new shipping rate policy?

Hmm, interesting that Q finally did something with their high rates for shipping. However, I agree that IMO this will be a problem because of the inconsistency in their sizing for clothing and shoes. I may order less - because there have been times when I've ordered 2 items in different sizes and returned the one that didn't fit. Obviously that will no longer work. I can guarantee you if I order my "normal" size and something doesn't fit, I will be calling customer service and letting them know that IMO the product is defective.

Ryka shoes come to mind. I used to be able to order a half size up in sneakers and that would work to allow for wearing a sock. The last item I ordered I did that it was still too small - I called CS and ordered a full size up and they took the boot back as defective.

Well, you know I've been trying to cut back anyway - guess this is more motivation.

Honored Contributor

On 2/2/2015 Favorite Son said:

At the end of the day the cost of shipping apparel will be about the same or lower if you keep every item of a multi-item order. If the original cost is $6.72 for shipping, the 1/2 price for subsequent items was $3.36 per item. So for multiple apparel purchases, the reduced shipping is $4.72 on the first item, and $3.36 on subsequent item. But that is only for items shipping at $6.72. For more expensive shipping rates, the reduction in shipping will be greater.

The problem is that you have to keep all of the items you purchase to realize that reduction in shipping. Return even one item, and the cost actually increases. You have to pay to return the item, at about $4.00 if you pay for your own shipping and it can go First Class (not likely for most apparel, because the cutoff weight is 13 ozs.), or use the prepaid label at $6.95 to $8.95, and not be refunded your original shipping. Either way, shipping cost will substantially increase for a lot of apparel (or any other item, really) from which some items are returned.

Sounds like another good deal for QVC, and a disincentive to buy here.

Favorite Son: You got it. I just called Customer Service and the representative said the QVC return labels of $6.95, $8.95 and $10.95 (depending on the size/value/weight of the package/box) will remain the same. So, e.g., if you buy a sweater for $3 shipping and it does not fit, if you use the $6.95 QVC return label then that amount plus the original $3 in shipping will be deducted from your return credit ($9.95 for a sweater). Guess I won't be buying sweaters AND other things, if you know what I mean. Part of what I liked about QVC was that they refunded your original S&H because you can't try things on or see the item in person before purchasing. As a longtime QVC customer, I will aim to shop elsewhere. {#emotions_dlg.mad}

Super Contributor

Some of you who were wishing for lower shipping rates ... got your wish.

But - you have to be careful what you wish for ... there's always the "law of unintended consequences" that applies.

Lower shipping costs are a plus for me ... I'm careful when I shop and in all the years I've been shopping, I returned one item and exchanged two.

Respected Contributor

On 2/2/2015 Kathleen said:

But - you have to be careful what you wish for ... there's always the "law of unintended consequences" that applies.

Lower shipping costs are a plus for me ... I'm careful when I shop and in all the years I've been shopping, I returned one item and exchanged two.

then you must be always a consistent size, Kathleen. I am careful when I shop as well, but Q's sizing can be all over the place and they have been really poor lately with putting up the click here measurements.

Honored Contributor

On 2/2/2015 betteb said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I'm with you...major stinko for me.

Their sizing charts are so far off and the manufacturing serves up sizes that are inconsistent! Now I don't know if either qualifies for 'defective merchandise' in order to receive an original S/H refund!

I will DEFINITELY NOT try anymore items that aren't a guarantee I will like them! I am a 'power' shopper and try many, many items. Yes, I have some returns. But now I will NOT chance it!

"Love it or Return it" BUT IT WILL COST YOU EVEN MORE NOW! I didn't mind paying my own shipping back...but if I have to lose DOUBLE???

I am so glad for this thread. I noticed the reduced shipping but didn't read the fine print.

Not returning original S/H is a big deal breaker for me!

Respected Contributor

On 2/2/2015 EdithEllenLily said:
On 2/2/2015 Favorite Son said:

At the end of the day the cost of shipping apparel will be about the same or lower if you keep every item of a multi-item order. If the original cost is $6.72 for shipping, the 1/2 price for subsequent items was $3.36 per item. So for multiple apparel purchases, the reduced shipping is $4.72 on the first item, and $3.36 on subsequent item. But that is <em>only</em> for items shipping at $6.72. For more expensive shipping rates, the reduction in shipping will be greater.

The problem is that you have to keep all of the items you purchase to realize that reduction in shipping. Return even one item, and the cost actually increases. You have to pay to return the item, at about $4.00 if you pay for your own shipping and it can go First Class (not likely for most apparel, because the cutoff weight is 13 ozs.), or use the prepaid label at $6.95 to $8.95, and not be refunded your original shipping. Either way, shipping cost will substantially increase for a lot of apparel (or any other item, really) from which some items are returned.

Sounds like another good deal for QVC, and a disincentive to buy here.

Favorite Son: You got it. I just called Customer Service and the representative said the QVC return labels of $6.95, $8.95 and $10.95 (depending on the size/value/weight of the package/box) will remain the same. So, e.g., if you buy a sweater for $3 shipping and it does not fit, if you use the $6.95 QVC return label then that amount plus the original $3 in shipping will be deducted from your return credit ($9.95 for a sweater). Guess I won't be buying sweaters AND other things, if you know what I mean. Part of what I liked about QVC was that they refunded your original S&H because you can't try things on or see the item in person before purchasing. As a longtime QVC customer, I will aim to shop elsewhere. {#emotions_dlg.mad}

And Newgistics charges QVC an extremely LOW rate to transport items TO and FROM the customer, while the customer is charged a higher rate - $6.95 to $10.95.

I understand that some of that additional cost is necessary due to the cost of processing the returns - checking items (I really can't believe I'm saying this), and putting it back in inventory (absolutely, right?). But it really isn't the benefit for the average QVC customer like it is being represented. I think QVC probably has a very high returns rate and this is merely a way to deal with that, shrouded in a "benefit" to the customer. So the average customer will probably see an increase in her total cost to shop here.

Respected Contributor

SHOPHQ has never refunded the original shipping so I found myself ordering very little from them over the years, as it was too costly. But their S&H was more than $3, more in the $6 range. With a $3 S&H it is more acceptable. I will think twice about ordering, as stated sizing lately is not always accurate. I have ordered two of the same items, one fits and one does not. Why will I have to pay for that mistake?

Occasional Contributor

This is just a way for them to make more money. What they didn't tell you is that if you ship something back, it's going to cost you the usual $6.95 or more, plus you won't get your original shipping fees back, so trying their products and finding out they are just not right for you is no longer "risk free", not that it ever was, since it costs you money to ship the item back. You can now add another $3.00 or more to your return shipping fees if the item just doesn't fit you correctly or you're allergic to ingredients, or the quality isn't what it should be, but it isn't deemed "defective". I had about stopped ordering clothing and makeup from them anyway and I don't order much else that is exclusive to QVC. I can get free shipping and returns from a lot of other merchants and the price difference on the items is negligible - about $5.00 in most cases. If I order from brick and mortar stores online, I can take the item(s) back myself for no cost at all, and unless you're housebound or live way out in the country where there's no shopping other than a particular big box store, everyone gets out to go the grocery store, the post office or to buy gas for their car.

These people had a good idea at one time, but the internet competition with discount prices and free shipping is killing them and there have been complaints about their shipping costs, so they've just found a way to increase them while making their customers think they're getting a better deal. Trust me, you're not. Your S&H returns just went up $3.00 or more - which is going to add to the original cost of your item if you return it. That's the plan. Instead of paying more to return the item, you'll reluctantly decide to keep it even if you don't like it or it doesn't fit, because you'll decide it's not worth a third of the price of the item to return it (this is especially true on their exclusive brands such as Denim and Company and other less expensive lines or items on clearance). This is just another way to add to the "discount" prices of their products if you're unhappy with them because of poor workmanship (not considered defective), and judging from a lot of product feedback I've seen lately, especially on women's clothing, a lot of people are unhappy. Back in the day, they used to send you letters threatening to cut you off from buying their products if your return ratio was high. I got one of those one year and didn't buy anything from them for over a year - then I got letters begging me to come back and sending me easy pay cards to encourage me to purchase more items. If their customers do the math, this won't last long. I know one thing. I won't be buying much from QVC any longer unless I am familiar with the product and know I won't be returning it AND I'm actually getting it for a better price. Clothing is no longer going to be an option for me. I can go to Macy's, Talbot's, Ann Taylor or Chico's either in person (or online) and try on clothing for free and if I take (or get) it home and it doesn't match the shoes in my closet, I can take it back to their stores for no fee.

This shows a huge lack of foresight and marketing vision on QVC's part and a callous disregard for the intellect of their consumers. Most of us are a lot smarter than their management gives us credit for. Ladies and gentlemen, caveat emptor.

Super Contributor

On 2/2/2015 GinaV24 said:
On 2/2/2015 Kathleen said:

then you must be always a consistent size, Kathleen. I am careful when I shop as well, but Q's sizing can be all over the place and they have been really poor lately with putting up the click here measurements.

All I do is check the garment measurements. I know my body measurements and how much wearing ease I prefer. If there are no click here measurements, I don't buy the item.

And, even though I'm not as tall and thin as the models, I do have the same body type as one of them ... and I can tell by how it fits her whether or not it will work for me. How a garment falls and moves on the model - where pockets are placed, how shoulders fit - are as important as the garment measurements.

The two items I exchanged were size-related exchanges, but that was well before the "click here" measurements.

Honored Contributor

Returns now will cost customer a minimum of $10. if you use the Q's label.