Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think if Dennis Basso would sell selling Joan's line - at least for now?

As with most things that have grown large, QF and Joan River's clothing is not a mom and pop operation.

Come on people! So do you think Joan Riverers or Susan Graver, etc designed these clothes? Joan Rivers was more interested in making people laugh.

She may have seen them right before they went on the air, maybe.

That's what every designer, etc, dreams of. Becoming so well known for something they don't have to sit and do it.

People sell their names, their clothing lines everything.

Of course they change. These big companies want to sell what is popular at the time. They either change or it doesn't sell.

As far as QF, I have quite a few of their clothes (past a few present). My size has changed drastically since then.

Respected Contributor

Re: What do you think if Dennis Basso would sell selling Joan's line - at least for now?

Please, no, not Dennis Basso. It should be David who continues with Joan's products.

Honored Contributor

On 9/9/2014 MarthaStewardess said:

Please, no, not Dennis Basso. It should be David who continues with Joan's products.

I agree about no to Dennis Basso. Though I now seldom watch QVC, back when I did, I could not watch Mr. Basso.

I'm willing to bet JR addressed who should take over when she could no longer be in charge of her line.

Honored Contributor

JR's company belonged to a lot of people. She may have put in her will (almost for sure she did) who her shares went to (Melissa) but she had business partners.

I know. I have business partners in several of my companies. Right now I'm in an "agreement" with a partner (50/50) on a piece of property we lease to Checkers FF.

If one wants to sell it, the other one has to (but can sell it back to the partner, it's mine, there is no legal agreement in the contract).

Each business contract has it's own terms. It is probably not up to Joan.

Who in the world would think Dennis Basso would or would want to represent Joan River's clothes. He has his own clothing line.

His name comes up a lot in some of the shows I watch as a designer. Again, it is his name. He doesn't specifically design a particular wedding dress.

It's call The Joan Rivers Line, The Dennis Basso Line. The person who I think is more involved is Bob Mackie. But if you listen to him he'll say, "We thought we'd go back in the archives and pull out some of my designs. Even he has people (QVC, someone) telling him what to use or do.

It's the price of becoming famous/rich.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Personally I would prefer to see David Dangle represent Joan's line, should it continue. I don't think he has to entertain necessarily, any more than any other vendor. If he tries to imitate Joan's shtick that would fall flat for sure. Who knows? Maybe without Joan he will develop more of his own individual on-air persona. He could certainly interject his own Joan anecdotes, in a way that the Jackie O. guy does/did with that line.

Valued Contributor

On 9/9/2014 ivey said:

And how do we know that Kathy Levine would even consider coming back? Maybe she loves her life just like it is.

We don't, but she did come back to QVC to present her own line of jewelry. It's not like Joan was on all the time. David would have to be a part of the presentations as he is the continuity that is needed.

Regular Contributor

I could only see David Dangle taking over Joan's line. He is the CEO of Joan Rivers and this is his livelihood. He is the closest to Joan in this business, knows her very well and what she would like sold. He knows her taste in fashion and jewelry and will bring it to us if he is to go on.

I have been watching Joan on QVC for 12 years and don't know Kathy Levine or what she is like. I do know from reading the boards that she is well liked, but even with that in her favor, she failed at her own jewelry line on Qvc. Having her come back would be like trying to go back to your first honeymoon spot and expecting it to feel the exact same way as the day you got married. JMO. Bad Idea.

I will really miss Joan on QVC. I do have fond memories of seeing her weekly while working at a NYC airport. I can still picture her walking down the terminal years ago with her little Spike and nodding hello to me. Joan rushing in one direction and me in the other.

Love that Lady Joan!!!!!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Trusted Contributor

The great thing about this forum is that everybody has an opinion, it doesn't have to be right or wrong. Thank you all for sharing yours! I know the one thing we all agree on is that Joan was a one of a kind, and we will miss her terribly!
Trusted Contributor

Oh, my goodness, NO! Dennis has a successful business of his own, on QVC and elsewhere. I doubt he would have any interest in taking over Joan's line of fashions and jewelry. I know they were good friends, and I'm sure he is a charming man -- but I don't enjoy watching his presentations and think he'd be a disaster trying to fill Joan's shoes. He is too loud, too obnoxious, and totally lacks her personality and cleverness. No, NO, NO!

Super Contributor

On 9/9/2014 annabellethecat said:

As with most things that have grown large, QF and Joan River's clothing is not a mom and pop operation.

Come on people! So do you think Joan Riverers or Susan Graver, etc designed these clothes? Joan Rivers was more interested in making people laugh.

She may have seen them right before they went on the air, maybe.

That's what every designer, etc, dreams of. Becoming so well known for something they don't have to sit and do it.

People sell their names, their clothing lines everything.

Of course they change. These big companies want to sell what is popular at the time. They either change or it doesn't sell.

As far as QF, I have quite a few of their clothes (past a few present). My size has changed drastically since then.

Joan had excellent taste in what she wore...very classy. I don't remember which tv special I was recently watching about Joan, but someone who worked with her said she could be zooming quickly through a room and be shown a design for something and just say "yes," "no," or "change that to..." on the spot.

I'm sure she wasn't the original designer, but I think the designers tried to reflect her classy taste.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion