Esteemed Contributor

What do you have in you closet that you know you should get rid of..

What do you have in your closet that you know you should get rid of but can't....

Mine is a dress a bought on our Honeymoon in Hawaii in 1976.....

Respected Contributor

Re: What do you have in you closet that you know you should get rid of..

I have a dress from Eddie Baur that is 26 years old. The reason for not parting with it is my mom told me I looked 100 pounds in that dress. I was 100 pounds in middle school, not since then. That was her way of saying it was slenderizing on me. I know it is silly and now I may just give it up. By the way, it was $125. back then. 

Trusted Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  Your question is dangerous -

Im in the mood to just throw everything away and start over - 

Respected Contributor

Nothing.  My husband and I have been "spring cleaning" and I recently purged four trash bags full of clothes and shoes that went to the local clothing bank. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have waay too many items in drawers and closets that I keep for sentimental reasons.  From my high school pep sweater to vacation souvenir sweatshirts and t-shirts. I've tried to donate them.... always put them back.  Help!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

My "work clothes, shoes, bags" - I've been retired for awhile.

My glitzy jackets, tops, dresses I used to wear for formal nights on cruises.

But I'm still holding on to my Harry Potter vibrating broom!  LOL

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

Congratulations, @Nataliesgramma , for putting us on a guilt trip!

I have suits.....! Praytell, where and when will I ever wear them again?!

Also some separates that I keep thinking I will wear, but then never reach for them!

I guess it's time. Whose going first?

Honored Contributor

Having moved a few times in the past 10 years gave me the opportunity to purge everything I don't wear.  However, after the winter season, I'll probably do another mini-purge.  Same with shoes.  I don't own many shoes anymore.  I donate my clothing/shoes to Goodwill.

Respected Contributor

@tototwo 

Since you have tried to pass these items on before, you know what should be done.  You have the memories...why not take a photo of each, possibly wearing some of them, and place in frames in your closet if it's a walk-in or some other room for keeping memories ?

I would bet there are some gals out there who would get great use out of your keepsakes !

After I retired it took me about two years to pass on all my business suits and accessories.  Nowadays, if I don't wear something for a season, there is a reason:  it gets mailed to my niece, my cousins, some Sisters who wear " civilian " clothes or can pass it on to other Sisters in their Order.

The feeling of being free from things not needed is wonderful.  Couple that with knowing others are using and enjoying those items that have served me well instead of my hanging on to them is wonderful too.

True story:  Years ago when my sister was going through a divorce, I would make sure that she got first pick from my closet.  Whenever she got a compliment on an article, she would tell the person that she got it from my sister's closet.

One Monday, her boss's wife who also worked in the office told her that she had driven up and down a certain major road looking for " My Sister's Closet " to no avail.......    The wife actually found a card for her to send me.  It has been framed and sits on a wall in my closet:  A store with the name ( you guessed it ! ) " My Sister's Closet ".

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

About 6 pairs of jeans that I'm never going to get my big rear end into ever again.