Respected Contributor

Re: What do you have in you closet that you know you should get rid of..

Back in the 80s and 90s I worked at an upscale resort hotel and had to dress up each day.  I saved 7-8 of my favorite dresses, skirts, and jackets and a beautiful pastel green silk pantsuit.  They definitely have that 80s look, complete with shoulder pads...and yes, I had "big hair" to go with them!

i obviously won't wear them again, but haven't been able to ditch them yet! One of my granddaughters is into vintage clothes...they don't fit her right now, but if she can wear them down the road I will give them to her.

Honored Contributor

Last spring I got rid of all my jeans that did not fit like I like - most  being a bit too big.  Big mistake since I had an accident that rendered unable to workout for months at which time I put on weight and now no jeans to wear until I can loose all that weight. 

When I retired I did get rid of anything I knew I would no longer wear. 

I still have a few pairs of my favorite jeans when I was a size 7 and 2 pairs of my favorite short shorts from when I was young and a couple of sizes smaller which I won't get rid of and don't feel guilty about keeping.  

Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz-- Good ideas, but I'll probably keep these items until I'm really ready.  I always clean out my closets twice a year and have no problems donating big trash bags of unneeded clothes to Goodwill.  The week after I retired, I boxed up every suit, pair of high heels, dressy blouse, etc., that I owned and off they went!  No sentiment whatsoever.  I just have a problem with some old souvenir-y things.

Funny about the My Sister's Closet!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Nothing!  I know I have a few items that I have had for years and will probably never wear again, but I have no desire to get rid of them.

I don't understand the practice today to purge and call everything we don't need 24/7 clutter.

Many items are attached to a memory, or a person.  We are human and it is normal to hold some things dear.  It's okay to surround ourselves with things we love.

I will never be guilted into getting rid of things I want to keep.

@Nataliesgramma I think you should continue to keep that dress in your closet.  It probably holds good memories.

Honored Contributor

I moved last year & tossed/donated almost my entire closet.

I don't require a lot but I did keep a pair of Calvin Klein blue jeans 

that I wore in college, circa 1979 for emotional reasons only.
You're right, need to get rid of them!

Respected Contributor

@Carmie  Your thoughts are pretty much mine . I clear out my closets usually at the change of seasons. I do not keep a lot of items ,especially the ones I just KNOW  I haven't and will not use and I want some new items anyway.

But I do have a little space for the sentimental items . One or two items I made back when I could sew something to completion and have it look professional . Yea the dress still fits , but the shoulder pads would be rather embarassing . Now I mainly hem items , sew buttons on or patch seams. Threading a needle is a very long process now ! Smiley Happy Also a few items that remind me of loved ones that have passed. 

I just hope that the closet police never stop by with a search warrant . Smiley Happy Guess I would have to call my lawyer.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have a jacket made of hand-woven wools and put together by the artist- worker who wove those wools.  It's too big for me now and I'd hate to gain enough weight to make it my size again, but I can't imagine being able to get rid of it.  

Trusted Contributor

I have this gorgeous pricey Burberry rain coat that I should get rid of, keep thinking if I only lose those few lbs I could get into it, but it's been several years, sooooo....

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

You know---I got rid of so much from my closet when we moved last year that I don't have much left and I have a unique issue that I am dealing with as far as clothing and that is---I had a double mastectomy due to cancer and did not get reconstruction so am flat ---- nothing fits normally. Everything is way to big--you'd be surprised how much room "the girls" take up in clothing. So all that was too big, got donated. And trying to fit for a flat chest when  your tummy or upper arms are bigger than your chest is very interesting. Do I fit my chest or my arms and tummy/hips??? Do I emphasize it or try to camo it? Interesting, right?

Frequent Contributor

This is a really interesting thread to read... I'm not on the declutter and minimalism bandwagon.  I bought things because I liked them and they made me happy, so why would I be guilted into feeling like I had "too much" when having, wearing, or seeing those things makes me feel good?  I'm sure you all would look at my closet and tell me that I don't need umpteen pairs of women with control leggings, and that no one needs that many cashmere sweaters, and that my dress obsession is out of control.  

I think it's lovely that you have a dress purchased on your honeymoon.  I have many items from my college days that I don't have occasion to wear frequently now, but I still like having them- the slip dress with stars on it that I danced in at the club, an off the shoulder silky blouse that made me feel pretty, an ACC championship t-shirt.  You all would tell me that I should get rid of them, but I do wear them occasionally and enjoy the memory associated with them.  There are two items I kept that I will likely never wear again:  a short, tight, red and black dress with a side cutout detail that I wore to a Valentine's semiformal and a purple formal dress that was completely beaded and backless that I wore to my senior formal.  They represent my sexy as hell looks from when I felt young enough to dress sexy as hell.  Yes, I have photos of me in these dresses so I don't technically need to physically keep them, but I smile everytime I see them hanging in my closet.