Honored Contributor

What do you call shoes like this?

I called them "sneakers" yesterday and my 12 year old students thought that was so funny. Some of them had never heard that word.  I guess I'm showing my age by calling them sneakers?

What would you call them?

free-rn-flyknit-2017-big-kids-running-shoe.jpg

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I would and do call them SNEAKERS.

Trusted Contributor

Re: What do you call these?

[ Edited ]

I call them sneakers. Grew up in Brooklyn, NY. That’s what they are called here, still. Even 12 year olds in Brooklyn call them sneakers. 

If you happen to be in Great Britain, those shoes are called “trainers”. 

OK, so if the 12 year olds laughed at sneakers, what do they call those shoes?  What part of the country would that other word be used? 

Trusted Contributor

I'm from southern CA and we always called them "tennis shoes".  Now I guess I would call them athletic shoes, but old habits die hard.  

Honored Contributor

Sneakers or tennis shoes. What do your 12 yr old students call them?

See what they think about a typewriter?

Honored Contributor

Re: What do you call these?

[ Edited ]

Hmm.... I call them tennis shoes.   I suppose there are all kinds of names now for the different sport shoes.  Walking, running, athletic etc.

Respected Contributor

I used to call them "running shoes", but now sneakers. I remember buying a pair of Nike's for the first time when my older daughter was running cross country at school.

Honored Contributor

I'm 57 so I call them sneakers and will always call them sneakers.  I think most people today call them atheletic shoes, I don't really know why since the vast majority of people who wear them are not doing anything that is remotely atheletic in them.  

Trusted Contributor

Joggers or aerobic shoes.

Honored Contributor

We used to call them "Nike's" because that was THE brand to wear back in the day.