Honored Contributor

What do "missed designers" have in common

[ Edited ]

Looking through the list of those "missed designers,* in your view, what do you think they have in common?*

Me?  I think that originality was primary ... they got me shopping at QVC because I didn't see those things in the store. 

*And, one I would like to add to the "missing" is the original Quacker Factory.  I don't watch often now, but what I have seen is more like a decorated Denim & Co. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do "missed designers" have in common

What did they have in common?The ones I miss offered styling and tailoring that's considered "Classic".

Classic clothing design has a timeless quality.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA   None.

I do have a wonderful silk scarf I bought from Bob Mackie more than 25 years ago -  not a thing from any of the others who have disappeared nor any thing from Bob

Honored Contributor

They were true designers who had runway shows and/or couture clothing before they ever came to QVC.  Now we have "celebrities" with dubious designing skills selling the same way overpriced items.

Trusted Contributor

@x Hedge:

I agree.  The styles were not "trendy"...NO high-low hems, distressed jeans, wild prints, cold shoulder, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Looking through the list of those "missed designers,* in your view, what do you think they have in common?*

Me?  I think that originality was primary ... they got me shopping at QVC because I didn't see those things in the store. 

They were not brands owned by QVC.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

Fine fabrics--wools and silks.

Better craftsmanship.

Esteemed Contributor

Stellar tailoring, luxury natural fabrics (wools, linens, silks), and classic designs to be worn throughout the world.                       

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

I don't remember any fine luxury fabrics,  like silk or wool, with superior craftsmanship or fine tailoring. I do remember a few silk scarves and wool hats....I miss the unusual styles that I didn't see everywhere else. Now Q carries mostly the equivalent of "store brands" which is not a bad thing,but tend to all seem similar to each other.

Respected Contributor

Not only do I remember fine fabrics like silk, wool, gabardine, cashmere but I still have various items from over the years and the designers who are no longer here.  They are high quality, well designed, and timeless so of course I still have and wear them, especially Linea by Louis Dell'Olio.