Regular Contributor

Re: What detail or embellishment always grabs your attention?

Color is the first thing that catches my attention, particularly black/white combo or fucshia. The other thing that always gets me is  sisde-seam pockets on a skirt or dress. 

Football is my favorite season.
Esteemed Contributor

Good question and enjoyed your answers. I check out the color -- I'm done buying the wrong colors for my complexion. Just doesn't work. Coral is beautiful - but not on me. Prefer V neck, but not too low. Nothing tight across bust. Material is huge. Style is important. Brand means a lot, too.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Color is what catches my eye first and then classic styling.  

Frequent Contributor

@Hawkfan83 I, too, love pockets on skirts and dresses. But I want a quality woven fabric, not necessarily knits all the time, and I haven’t been able to find what I want in quite awhile. Have you found a particular brand you like that typically includes side seam pockets on their skirts and dresses?

Esteemed Contributor

Layered skirts grab my attention and embroidered stitching. I also like blingy appliques on jeans. Lace trim cuffs on a cotton shirt are also a favorite of mine.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Trusted Contributor

Suede and sometimes fringe.

Esteemed Contributor

For me, it's wraps - wrap tops, blouses, dresses, which gives a side statement, which, I think, is always slimming.

Regular Contributor

@PugdogMom wrote:

@Hawkfan83 I, too, love pockets on skirts and dresses. But I want a quality woven fabric, not necessarily knits all the time, and I haven’t been able to find what I want in quite awhile. Have you found a particular brand you like that typically includes side seam pockets on their skirts and dresses?

I've started making my own because I prefer woven material also. I've had Nordstrom alterations add pockets to a skirt too.

Football is my favorite season.
Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz 

Hence my use of the word detail! There's obviously something that attracts all of us to a piece of clothing.

The hand of a garment can also be a huge factor for me! You may not see it but as soon as I touch something and if it feels scrumptious what it looks like is almost secondary! LOL which probably makes me a little annoying to shop with. "Eww! Feel this!"😄

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo 

Agreed. I stand by my statement that I am not into embellishments, but details are a whole other thing and is clearly why I can't order clothing online unless I have already seen and touched it in B&M.

Just this weekend I found a jacket online but was so uncertain about the fabric I called customer service. After asking far too many questions I said while I understand a small shop cannot accommodate all offerings, it might be helpful to have at least one size of each garment for customers to see/touch. The women I spoke to told me that was a great idea and she plans to bring it to the attention of TPTB.

But I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.🤣 In the meantime I will continue to support my retail community.