Trusted Contributor

Re: What can you do to feel better about yourself when you're dieting and not at goal yet?

I had to take a different approach 5 years ago when I had to lose a serious amount for health reasons. Early on, I saw the phrase that has stuck with me:

Whatever you do to lose the weight and get healthy, know it is something you will have to do the rest of your life.

The old saying, diets don't work...that is true. I was truly bummed knowing that my lifestyle and my "relationship" with food had to change. I didn't want to do it, but in the end my need to have a better quality of life won out.

I found new things I did enjoy eating, learned to like healthy alternatives, kept a couple vices (like diet pepsi), and learned to really love exercise. It was long process that didn't happen overnight, but when I saw what I could do and realized that I was doing it for nobody but me it became easier.

The first time to could walk down a flight of stairs without both my knees aching and ready to give up actually made me cry happy tears...The first time I bought a size 14 in the regular section of the clothing store...The first time I put on a pair a real jeans in over 20 years...those type of "victories" are what kept me going.

I've been doing my new lifestyle for 5 years, so now I don't think about it much. It's just what I do. Truthfully, I never met my "ultimate" weight goal, but at this point I don't care. All the benefits of shedding over 100lbs far outweigh the number on the scale. Now it's a matter of staying healthy and physically challenging myself to do things I never thought I could ever do.

I was pretty much born heavy and was overweight to morbidly obese until I was 42...I yo-yo dieted the better part of my teenage and adult life. If I can do this, I really believe anyone can.

It's not easy, but it's something that you are doing for yourself and nobody else. It's about health and quality of life. Keep reminding yourself of that and you can continue this journey.

On a littler note...I do occasionally think about busting open a can of vanilla frosting and downing it in one sitting like I used to! I do love frosting. But I'm sure it wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable as it once was. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Trusted Contributor

Re: What can you do to feel better about yourself when you're dieting and not at goal yet?

Are your goals realistic? Sometimes we set goals that are too difficult to reach, in the short term, and then beat ourselves up when we don't reach them. If you have a lot of weight to lose, setting smaller short term goals, rather than one large one, often helps. It is sometimes hard to keep going if you keep thinking the task is going to take several months or a year or more.

Set dual goals - for example, lose 8 pounds this month AND add an extra 15 minutes of walking each day. If you don't lose the full 8 pounds, but you added 15 or more minutes of walking each day you can still feel good about your accomplishment.

Don't worry about not reaching the goal but examine why you didn't. Did you get sick and weren't able to exercise, were you extra stressed, etc. That may help you realize that outside forces interfered this month so you can now look forward to next month either without that interference or now that your more aware of the interference you can counter it.

If you have reached a plateau, then alter something about your diet and exercise. Add something you haven't eaten for awhile, in moderation of course,and if you mainly walk, for example, then add some swimming or try an exercise tape for a few days. It sends your body a new message which sometimes has the effect of almost restarting your metabolism. I know some will say that is ridiculous, but it has always worked for me.

Honored Contributor

My Diabetis prevention class ended on the final thurs of april and instead of continuing tp lose i have gained back 2 pounds - DEPRESSING. I have to really be firm with myself and get back on the program! i still have a ways to go so I must force myself to do it. I know i can I've lost 30 pounds already so it is just a matter of keeping my food journal and behaving myself.

Respected Contributor

Get out and do something for somebody else; that is one sure way I find to get my mind off myself in any situation.

Esteemed Contributor

Get excited about the fact that you are making healthy choices in your life and continue doing the right things. I like what HiLo said - people who volunteer time and talents have healthy self esteem. Plus, it takes the focus off of self. Just keep moving and making right choices!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

Hi! First of all, way to go with getting on an exercise and diet program. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

So many thoughtful great responses..I'd also recommend dressing in a way that makes you feel good while giving your self credit for each step forward in a healthier direction so you can feel good about more than just what the scale is saying in the moment.

Contributor

So glad you brought this up~ I am also on a diet and it has been a painfully s-l-o-w journey this time. I have been wrestling for years with the same 25 pounds, but as I am entering menopause it has become 40. All the things I could do as a younger woman to drop weight are not working at this stage. (Or at least, the progress has been agonizingly slow.) I am working with a diet coach-- This really helps!!! Week after week I wouldn't get around to journaling my food each day as she asked. I finally gave in and this helped--- We don't realize how 'small bites' here and there add up!! I am learning day by day about patience and perseverance, which has been tough but fulfilling. Stay strong and hang in there! Believe in yourself!!
Valued Contributor

I lost 56 lbs. and it took me 10 months. What kept me absolutely going was my scale. It weighs in half lbs. as in 123.5. I weighed myself in the morning after hitting the head but before even drinking a glass of water. I WROTE it down, good or bad, I wrote it down, every single number from every single day (except when I was away from home). I found that it was the only way I could do it. I looked at those numbers every single day and willed them to get smaller. Slowly it happened. Now I read them and see the plateaus and the quick losses which always happens in any long haul weight loss program. It is always different for each person. THIS is how it did it. I wish you the very best of luck. Find a way to keep yourself honest, rationalizing is deadly. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

I lost from 125 or 130 from almost 200 both times I was pregnant. Of course I had ankles the size of tires, but the boys were healthy, and I swell easily. The dr threatened to put me in the hospital if I didn't sit with my feet up in a chair during the last halfs. Not easy to eat properly and do that! In high school! So, when I had healed enough from the C sections, I worked on me while breast feeding. Thank goodness for Weight Watchers! Their Hungry Day soup with V-8 or tomato juice and cabbage among other things, filled me up as an active young mother. Matt and Josh were both spring babies, and when I went back I was in my origonal belt loops! Most of their day was sleeping, and a close friend had them both times! You just can't beat 8-10 pounds every month! I don't care if I did have to buy extra measuring cups and spoons! At Christmas I need them! All the moms in our Lazamaz class bought clothes in their new bigger sizes. They're still that size to this day!

Respected Contributor

I am a Weightwatcher lifetime member. I think it is the best program because of the group support and scientific research. You can lose weight on other programs as well. Some of the things I recommend is 1. Set realistic goals . Most women can lose 1-2 pounds per week. 2. Hang out with positive supportive people. If possible find a weight loss buddy. 3. Find an exercise you like and will do. Walking and bicycling are good and inexpensive.4. Be accountable. That is one reason WW works. You know you will weigh in once a week and it will be written down. 5. Keep trying. If you have one off program meal, get back on track for the next meal. Every day is a new beginning, every diet doesn't' have to start on Monday.