Contributor

What can you do to feel better about yourself when you're dieting and not at goal yet?

Can you share any poiitive tips while I'm dieting and exercising but during the slow process I just get down some days? Thanks for anything you can inspire with!{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Honored Contributor

Re: What can you do to feel better about yourself when you're dieting and not at goal yet?

This is what I enjoy about going to Weight Watchers meetings. You get re-invigorated after every meeting and you celebrate all of your victories each week whether they be about the scale or not.

I would recommend you come up with some mantras/statements that are positive about yourself as you are now and write them down and say them every day when you wake up.

I would also recommend that you spend a few minutes at the end of each day going over all the good things that happened to you and all the things you did right (instead of focusing on what you did wrong either in the present or in the past).

Look at today and look forward, not back.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: What can you do to feel better about yourself when you're dieting and not at goal yet?

I walk around the malls here looking at the clothing and trying on items I might never have tried on in the past-- maybe its a different style from what I was wearing in the past or maybe a certain color. Its fun to do window shopping. Maybe head over to one of the larger department stores and ask for someone to do your face with various cosmetics-- try a new look to go with the new body so to speak.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Dress well, apply your makeup, fix your hair everyday ~ even though you may not feel like it yet. Perhaps try a new hair style or get some highlights. Manicure? Pedicure? Once you reach your goal weight, you will want to do all of those things probably ~ but start now.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I've been working on losing weight for almost 1.5 years now. I always think about the things I am doing right and how far I have come in my appearance & healthwise.

I don't really think about how far I have to go or when I might get there. That mindset is negative and makes it seem like all one's efforts so far are worthless and unimportant. It leads many to give up.

I'm not really that interested in the number on the scale. I am more interested in being happy with how I look and feel. And being able to do things that I couldn't do before. The number on the scale has nothing to do with those things.

I had a huge amount to lose when I started & for a long time I could not see the changes in the mirror (talk about frustrating!) but I knew they were happening because I was shrinking in size & the scale was dropping. Affirmations were very important at that time. I just kept telling myself how good I was doing & how much better I felt. Then one day I could see the difference in the mirror! I notice my improving appearance every day & take note of other improvement - like effortless walking, being able to run, not aching all over, & not tiring easily - all day every day at this point. I have a lot to celebrate.

Celebrate every positive thing you do every day. Love yourself now. Never, ever beat yourself up if/when you stumble along the way. Instead, give yourself a pat on the back for getting right back on plan again. Always think positive & focus on the good. It makes it so much easier to stick to healthy eating when you feel good about yourself.

You can do this! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

Also, always wear clothes that fit. So many people wear big, baggy clothes until they lose all the weight. It just makes them look bigger, not to mention it looks sloppy and like they do not care about their appearance.

Respected Contributor

Do you have a friend or family member who is working on a healthier lifestyle? I try to exercise most days but there are times when I get so bored that I want to skip it. That's when I call my cousin. We are always sharing healthy recipes and new exercise ideas. We even get out together occasionally to walk hills. It makes a huge difference to talk to someone who 'gets it' when discouragement is creeping in.

Respected Contributor

On 5/6/2014 willdob3 said:

I've been working on losing weight for almost 1.5 years now. I always think about the things I am doing right and how far I have come in my appearance & healthwise.

I don't really think about how far I have to go or when I might get there. That mindset is negative and makes it seem like all one's efforts so far are worthless and unimportant. It leads many to give up.

I'm not really that interested in the number on the scale. I am more interested in being happy with how I look and feel. And being able to do things that I couldn't do before. The number on the scale has nothing to do with those things.

I had a huge amount to lose when I started & for a long time I could not see the changes in the mirror (talk about frustrating!) but I knew they were happening because I was shrinking in size & the scale was dropping. Affirmations were very important at that time. I just kept telling myself how good I was doing & how much better I felt. Then one day I could see the difference in the mirror! I notice my improving appearance every day & take note of other improvement - like effortless walking, being able to run, not aching all over, & not tiring easily - all day every day at this point. I have a lot to celebrate.

Celebrate every positive thing you do every day. Love yourself now. Never, ever beat yourself up if/when you stumble along the way. Instead, give yourself a pat on the back for getting right back on plan again. Always think positive & focus on the good. It makes it so much easier to stick to healthy eating when you feel good about yourself.

You can do this! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I love love love this response! Very articulate, and I often feel like I am an oddball because I'm not super focused on how much I weight/counting calories etc. I try to be healthy! I do a boot camp to be stronger! I have lost weight but I am HAPPY with my body and my size, and feel good about myself. For *me* it is definitely about the journey. Destination focus just s u c k s the joy out of my life.

Honored Contributor

I keep positive by taking very good care of myself. I've never been a "when I lose weight I'll buy.." type of girl. When I'm seriously dieting, I keep my spirits up by shopping, coloring my hair, getting my nails done. I treat myself well and for me that means dressing well and looking good.

Super Contributor

Buy yourself something special not related to your weight at all. Buy a new lipstick, lip gloss, eye gel, trendy nail polish for your toes ... anything that takes the focus off your weight/body/size.