Honored Contributor

Re: What are your thoughts on this new trend?

I don't care for it.  I agree that it looks unfinished and cheapens the look.  A dress starts off looking pretty -- well some of them -- and then as your eye travels down --- it ruins it.  It's rather like a lingerie or boudoir look.  Nope, not a fan of this style.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

I call them modesty minis.  I haven't felt the call to try wearing one.  I think I would be catching the lace on everything.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

When I have seen this style online it has been described as a lace overlay midi dress. This one is from Rachel Zoe

NMS16_TC99Y

I love lace overlay. It one of my favorite looks

Lace Pencil Skirt:

PERFECT- For wedding, Balls, fancy night out. I love everything about the dress. Not a hat fan, but Kate looks divine:

Kate Middleton's Most Memorable Outfits Ever! - November 13, 2014 from #InStyle:

A casual look

... summer chic:

Honored Contributor

I can just see that tight inner layer creeping up around the waist. 

Honored Contributor

I would have no problem with a younger, tall, thin gal wearing these styles. However, anyone else should think twice about wearing them. More people should own mirrors.

Honored Contributor

I think they look better in darker colors - not in pastels. Plus there are certain body styles that these outfits look good on, and it's not your average person.

Regular Contributor

I can't explain why my imagination works this way, but for some reason the short underneath long over the top reminds me of the mullet hairstyle.  LOL

Honored Contributor

First ......   This is a fad, not a trend.

Not a fan, and not something you can get much mileage out of.     Next year no one will be caught dead wearing it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like it in most cases.  That blush color dress is stunning.

I wouldn't call it "linings that don't extend the full length..." as the OP did. They're not linings -- they're short dresses with a lace or sheer overlay. 

Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee: I like lace also. It's the lace over the lining that doesn't match the bothers me. I admit to rocking a black lace tank, in my twenties, over a black bra (with jeans)