Honored Contributor

Re: What are the retail stores in your area looking like?

Retail stores in my area are currently doing curbside pick-up only.

I was wondering what the situation will be when they reopen, re: people wanting to return items that were ordered online for the past 3 months. That will probably be a hassle!

Has anyone experienced this already?

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I live in B'ham AL.  My sister and I were going to Winn Dixie for groceries and she asked, do you want to duck into Hobby Lobby first?  I said yes, yes, yes I really do!  No line for going inside.  They had a clearance on Spring items,  pretty things.  The store looked stocked and had already put out their fall decor.  A lot of fall decor, not skimpy.  Also a small sprinkle of Christmas items.  I sure had a good time.     Everything I needed from Winn Dixie was on sale.  It was a good day!  Heart

Honored Contributor

Don't care, don't know, nothing whatsoever I need from inside a store, not going. 

Honored Contributor

Our Kohls stores are stuffed with clothing. A lot of racks are 80% off there is so much to get rid of!
Respected Contributor

I have been to TJ Maxx once when they reopened end of May and Marshalls 2x in the past week.  Racks are bare and almost everything wiped out and what's  left all red tagged. i need summer  sandals.  i know they start getting shipments for fall in July but i tend to stay away in August during school shopping it gets too crazy. maybe i'll try Kohls.

Esteemed Contributor

Central Midwest - many stores are open but I'm not doing a lot of random shopping. Some stores and restaurants elect to stay closed. Looked at Menards for flooring this past weekend and unhappy people were turned away for not wearing masks. Same with Costco. Had to re-load on paper goods and basic bulk items. I appreciate stores that require masks. Surprised bicycle shops have not opened yet. You can call for repairs, but not opened until Phase 3.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

My TJMaxx was nearly empty first time I went.   They opened on Friday, Memorial Day weekend, I was there Monday.   I did buy a couple of small things from the kitchenware department.   Didn't have to stand in line to get in, but there was a small line at checkout.  One of their employees bossing me around, I wasn't standing on their exact proper spot.   I was at least 6 feet and I was the last person on line.   Of course the bossy employee has to get less than 6 feet from me to scold me.    I swore I wouldn't go back.  Cashier told me they only get 1 delivery a week.

I went back on June12, more merchandise, didn't buy anything, didn't stand in line to get in, didn't get fussed at like I'm in Kindergarten.

Bath & Body just opened, there was a line, it's time for the semi annual sale.   I'm skipping it, going to order online.  Part of the fun of B&B is trying scents, which I understand they are not doing now due to Covid.

Michael's has been open, looks normal, no standing in line, shelves seem stocked.  

I want to try Marshall's & Kohl's but haven't made it there yet.  I need a couple of new bras, don't want to pay shipping to get it off the Warner website.

There is a mask order in place in the city proper, I am no longer wearing a mask anywhere, all employees were wearing masks.

Esteemed Contributor

I went into Steinmart this past week.  There was no line to get in and the store was not very crowded.  There were no empty shelves- looked like the same amount of merchandise as usual.  But the fitting rooms were closed. Much of the merchandise was on sale racks, so I assume they're trying to get rid of all the spring and summer stuff that they didn't get a chance to sell.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

i have a family member that works for a company that has speciality retail stores (hockey and golf). The stores are re-opened at 50% capacity, however; their stock is really low. Why? Because the manufacturers shut down both manufacturing and distribution due to stay-at-home orders. Goods that they had on order to be delivered in early April have just arrived, but anything beyond that is on a 3-4 MONTH delay while the manufacturers ramp up production again. 

@FrostyBabe1    You hit the nail on the head.  Your post should give people some idea of why QVC is experiencing shipping delays.  They and other retailers are going through the same thing.  There have been drastic disruptions in the supply chain.  How frustrating it must be for the sellers, as well as us buyers.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Junky!