Respected Contributor

What are the retail stores in your area looking like? UPDATE

[ Edited ]

We have been back to green for some time but I have been busy.

I decided to take a pop into Ross since it was in the same shopping complex I was in to get some groceries.  

I walked in to find the shelves and racks BARE!  There was one rack of ladies shirts/tees/blouses and the rest of the store is empty!  I was odd I look across the entire empty store from the doorway and it is a bigger Ross.

The women in front of me asked if they were closing and the employees replied "no" just low on stock.

I do not know what happen?!?! Did they empty the store during COVID with plans to restock after opening? I do not understand why they even opened in that condition.  

I am curious what TJMaxx and Marshalls look like?  Has anyone been to a recently opened store?

UPDATE:  I found out what happen at Ross.  When they opened last Friday when we went green.  The entire store was on sale 75%-90% off.  They wanted to clear out all the old merchandise.  (I assume all sales final?)  It obviously worked- all merchandise is cleared out-gone!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: What are the retail stores in your area looking like?

All our stores here are still closed.  Some have "curbside" pickup or other areas where items can be picked up.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't stepped foot in any retail store yet but my friend has been to TJ Maxx a few times and said the same thing.  It was only about half stocked and they didn't know when they would be getting more merchandise in.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Contributor

We are still in yellow, but I have cautiously started shopping again. I've been to a regional department store that was well-stocked, consignment shops that are bursting and Target, which is very sparsely stocked (clothing low, candles and housewares wiped out, plenty of TP!). I have noticed some bare shelves, too. Kohl's was in-between. Very sparse in housewares. The best-stocked store I've seen so far is Bed, Bath & Beyond. Our store is absolutely immaculate and the shelves were full and inviting, including clearance. I'm a big Goodwill shopper, but going there still scares me. It's so crowded even at the slowest times. 

Honored Contributor

I believe the stores are the last phase to open so they are still closed in my area.  Target is open, nurseries for flowers are open and grocery and drugstores.  All I can say is thank God for the Internet because it helped stores stay afloat.  

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Stores are open here, many with initially reduced hours--Macy's 11-7, Kohl's 11-8. I haven't been to those stores yet, but according to news reports (and their crowded parking lots), they've been very busy. So have electronics stores and furniture stores. 

I did go to Marshall's because I do a lot of shopping there and didn't want things to get picked over.  It looked just as it always does. I picked up a few summer items. 

An indoor antique co-op was open, too. This weekend, Wegmans extended their hours, now 6 a.m.-midnight.  I'm sure Tops will follow, if they haven't already extended theirs. 

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

Most stores are open now with limited hours.  Some were set to open the other week, but they were damaged during the riots.

I've only been out a couple times to do curbside pickup. 

Grocery stores and Target are well stocked again.

Respected Contributor

i have a family member that works for a company that has speciality retail stores (hockey and golf). The stores are re-opened at 50% capacity, however; their stock is really low. Why? Because the manufacturers shut down both manufacturing and distribution due to stay-at-home orders. Goods that they had on order to be delivered in early April have just arrived, but anything beyond that is on a 3-4 MONTH delay while the manufacturers ramp up production again. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in Illinois. Stores opened up here. Went to TJ Maxx over weekend. Spent 20 minutes in line to get in as they only let 95 people in at a time. Only to be soooo disappointed. They just had nothing. Easter stuff in their home departments, not even summer clothes for women. Found a shirt on clearance, that was my big purchase. What a let down. 

Esteemed Contributor

Went to my fave store last week when it reopened a week after retail was allowed. No new stock, but all old clothing and shoes were 50% off to clear it all out. I did pick up several things for about $20.00. I asked and they said a truck was expected this week, so I will be back.

Nothing else I really need until after July 4th sales, so not much shopping planned.

Tomorrow my favorite thrift store reopens and I will visit this week, not opening day- it will be too crazy.