Super Contributor

What are the best things about getting older?

I'm turning 55 next week.

In my mind, that's the beginning of a new chapter.

I'm working on being as healthy and fulfilled as possible.

I want to look as good as I can, but I have no need to look years younger than I am.

I find that getting older has given me a calm confidence.

Which aspects of aging are you finding to be positive ones?

Super Contributor

Re: What are the best things about getting older?

NOt giving a rats behind about what others think of you. ONe of the great things about getting more ""mature"". Happy birthday!!!!
We all have two lives. The second begins when you realize you only have one - Confucius
Super Contributor

On 1/12/2014 Crazed4Gems said: NOt giving a rats behind about what others think of you. ONe of the great things about getting more "mature".

I think that's what I meant by "calm confidence", lol.. but I like the way you said it better. Wink

Super Contributor

My new chapter began at age 50 - 180 degree change in my circumstances. That was more than 20 years ago ... I'll be 72 in a few months.

I think added self-confidence comes with age. I'm more likely to voice my opinion now than I was before.

I no longer worry about things beyond my control.

The past is the past - let go of it and forgive them.

Fortunately, I'm aging well and in fairly good health. My doctor tells me I'm a young, healthy 71 year old!

I have to add retirement - which I think is the best thing since sliced bread! I love the freedom to do the things I love to do, sleep as late as I like and stay up as late as I like. No deadlines.

Honored Contributor

At the age of 51, I'm not sure if some of the things I know now are because of age or life experience.

I've pretty much always had my own mind and was rarely swayed by peer/family pressure. What I appreciate now is that I really know myself and I like myself. I don't feel the need to explain myself to anyone. If I make choices that don't impact anyone else, I don't feel the need to explain why I chose what I did. I will see how this is going to go over when I see a new doctor in 10 days (lol).

From an experience perspective, I accept more the circle of life. While I don't like endings and saying goodbye, especially due to death, I have more acceptance about it. I've also learned that all of the things that I thought could signal the end of the world, are not the end of the world.

I don't flip out or get spazzed any more. It's wasted energy and emotion and doesn't help a situation.

The eyes of the future are looking back at us and they are praying for us to see beyond our own time
Terry Tempest Williams
Frequent Contributor

Knowledge

Honored Contributor

Happy birthday!

Some of the good things I've noticed...

Becoming Wise.

Loving myself unconditionally. No matter what.

Being confident & comfortable in my own skin.

Having a healthy self-esteem & body image; Not judging myself based on my appearance.

Not worrying about what others think about me (besides, they most likely are not thinking about me at all! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}).

Being able to let go of toxic relationships; learning how to forgive but not forget.

Realizing that I need to take care of myself first. I'm not going to be helpful to anyone else if I am unhealthy, stressed out, and exhausted.

It is OK to say NO.

Super Contributor

Getting older gives me more appreciation for the everyday things in life. I am better able to just enjoy what's going on today.

Esteemed Contributor

Being retired.

Able to read, garden, walk, fish at leisure.

Not having to shovel snow in the dark to get to work.

Not having to miss events because of having to get up early.

Travel.

Respected Contributor

I call them the Fabulous Fifties!! They are so freeing in so many ways! First of all you really get to enjoy life and you don't worry about what others think or say. You know your political and religious views beyond a doubt. No need to discuss them. You also know your sense of style and wear what looks and feels good to you. No need to be concerned about what others are wearing or thinking. You start doing things that you have always wanted to try and either didn't have the time or didn't take the time to do it. You know what is really important in life and you don't sweat the small stuff! You have a lot of fun and laugh out loud moments. It is so much fun to have the confidence to be true to yourself and just enjoy life!!