Highlighted
Super Contributor

What are the advantages/disadvantages of pima cotton?

I am not that familiar with this fabric.  Is it thicker?  I get tired of those little holes appearing in my regular cotton t shirts.  Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are the advantages/disadvantages of pima cotton?

I like the pima cotton because it is a thicker material (though not too thick). Its is all cotton, so it doesn't have that rubbery feel of the poly mix. The disadvantage is: is can shrink if put in the dryer like any 100% cotton top would. I love the feel though, and it doesn't wrinkle. I've purchased Issac's pima cotton tops and feel they have a richness to them, vs. a Susan Graver polyester top, or a Denim & Co. "mixed breed" top.

Valued Contributor

IMO the best pima cotton tops are from LLBean. Wear them year round. I probably own 25 of them in various styles and colors.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pima cotton is an ultra-soft fabric that incorporates long cotton fibers. Most types of cotton use relatively short fibers, but Pima is one of a few kinds of cotton that are considered to be extra-long staple (ELS) cotton, which means that they are composed of fibers that are longer than 34 millimeters. Mar 1 2019

What makes Pima cotton so special? Often known as the 'king of cotton', Pima cotton is a type of extra-long staple cotton. 'Extra-long' means that each of the individual fibres that make up the cotton bud are at least one to three inches in length.

Honored Contributor

@shoptheQ wrote:

IMO the best pima cotton tops are from LLBean. Wear them year round. I probably own 25 of them in various styles and colors.

I love LL Bean's quality.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pima cotton is made with long fibers of cotton so it feels smooth. Most regular cotton is made with pieced together fibers and that can make the fabric feel not so smooth and over time, the fibers start to come apart...you get stretching out of shape and a worn out look to it. Pima is durable and retains it shape wash after wash.

m_5c86f07e5c44528ce8c7667d.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I don't believe I've ever had a tee develop holes but I usually buy Denim & Co. or Isaac.

Pima is a variety of long staple cotton grown in the American Southwest named after the Pima Indians in Arizona.  It's very silky but is woven in different weights and can be thin or heavier.  People like it because it feels like silk.  It's dressier than an ordinary cotton tee.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@shoptheQYears ago, I ordered 3 LLB pima cottons, same style but different colors.  The next season I ordered that same #shirt -  and the cotton wasn't all that similar.  I haven't tried much from there since, but those first 3 shirts do still look quite decent.  The fourth one will probably look new almost forever -  I should just stop pretending that some day I'll want to wear it.   

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't believe I've ever had a tee develop holes but I usually buy Denim & Co. or Isaac.

Pima is a variety of long staple cotton grown in the American Southwest named after the Pima Indians in Arizona.  It's very silky but is woven in different weights and can be thin or heavier.  People like it because it feels like silk.  It's dressier than an ordinary cotton tee.

@Kachina624 

I was going to mention that it's domestically grown but you beat me to it! I would think Isaac would say that in his presentation. I'm surprised he doesn't mention it

Honored Contributor

I've heard Isaac give Pima Cotton explanations that were plain wrong.  If he'd just bother to Google it, he'd have quite a learning experience.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment