Respected Contributor

Re: What about pants with pockets?

@GingerPeach wrote:

I've not seen well-cut dress pants with pockets that cause anyone to look bad.  If the garment is constructed well, it will drape well.

Okay, perhaps when I travel back in time to the 1940's, I'll buy pants with pockets.

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@GingerPeach, they are "slouchy," which is an option some of us like to wear for the right time. Fun and funky!

I have no problem with slouchy, fun, or funky.  But "clean-lined" they are not.  And "dressy" they are not.  And why like Yoda am I saying this?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't buy pants with side pockets, I don't even know why they make women''s pants with side pockets.  They stick out and add lumps where we don't need them.  I have a friend who has a dressmaker cut the pocket out and stitch the opening.  But I just prefer to buy pants without side pockets.  As for needing pockets for tissues or lipstick or keys, isn't that why we carry handbags?

@chrystaltree

Exactly! In fact, if I do buy pants with side pockets that are stitched shut, I leave them that way!

Honored Contributor

There's room in the world for pants with pockets and pants without pockets.

Not everyone wants to carry a handbag/clutch/wristlet/etc. all the time.  But if that's what someone likes, that is fine for them.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach

I agree, to each her own! My preference is no side pockets but that's just me. I realize that there are many different tastes and preferences out there. Vive la difference! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hate pockets in pants........and even worse are pockets in french terry sweatpants where there's about 4 layers of that thick material.......years ago I used to by Evan Picone slacks because they didn't have pockets....had a fly front and fit to a "T".  

Respected Contributor

I like no pants pockets. I wear my tops out, and there is less bulk and a smoother look without pockets - at least with fitted tops and sweaters. 

I also iron my slacks, and that is easier to do without pockets.

I can't say pockets are decorative, for me, since my tops hide the pockets. They might be decorative or useful for other people.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I wear jeans almost every day, so l'm used to having pockets. I put my keys in one, and cellphone in the other. On days when l wear leggings, or dress pants without pockets, l miss them!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

Most of my pants have pockets. If I wear pants or leggings without, then I try to have a top with pockets. When I walk the dogs, gotta have a pocket for the house key and plastic baggie (for doody duty).

Honored Contributor

Here is an example of pants with pockets that don't add bulk- GAP.