Respected Contributor

to a fall wedding (Sept) that is going to be held at a rented fair grounds?  I am concerned about many things actually like weather....will the ground be muddy/damp....being cold...what about toilets? out house? I really don't know what to expect and am trying to prepare so I am dressed appropriately plus being comfortable too.

I will be in the wedding photos as this is a very close relation to my spouse.  

I am thinking of a maxi dress...not to fancy...and packing fleece leggings to put on if it starts getting to cold.  And some type of warm coat/jacket.  When I asked my spouse what do we wear he said "I don't know...jeans and boots?" I don't think that would be ok for us...if we weren't a close relation and in photos then perhaps.

Is it too soon to begin shopping for this event??

Thanks for the ideas!

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite

At what time is the wedding? That's an important factor too

My cousin really threw me for a loop when he got married in November during the day!

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite,    Can you contact someone to find out if it is very casual  (jeans) or casual?  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I would ask DH to wear kahkis and a shirt.

I would suggest you wear a longer boho skirt, a top, and depending on the weather, a shrug or light weight short jacket.  You can also use a scarf with the jacket to be warm or wear a shrug over your top with a shawl.

Where you?

Esteemed Contributor

Where is the wedding? If it was say in Arizona or in the southwest in September it would still be hot as blazes in September. 

Respected Contributor

I dont have any more details yet....probably won't get any until late June at the shower which I intend to get answers to these very important questions I have LOL! the toilet situation really has me concerned....I can remember those rented party potties....and men and women used either one and they would have pee on the seats and smell so bad...plus drunk people just ripping the door open on users!  My girflfirned would guard the door for me and I for her....I avoid public toilets like this and am dreading this.  Plus having a nice dress on and heels? sounds all wrong for this.....I don't even know what time of day at this point.  And it's a destination wedding thing....4hr drive one way for us....don't know about hotel or what.  I do know it's being catered by someone and burgers/hot dogs are on menu....bride told me this info.  

Respected Contributor

Up North....Michigan

Trusted Contributor

That's a hard one to know. Would a T shirt type of dress with a jean jacket work?

I got invited to a "no chairs permitted" wedding at a garden location which I have never heard of a standing guests wedding before. It was in the invitation that way. Hmm

We may not attend as my husband and I have health challenges. We think it is a condition the garden stipulates, so we will attend just the reception. Ours is in May.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

to a fall wedding (Sept) that is going to be held at a rented fair grounds?  I am concerned about many things actually like weather....will the ground be muddy/damp....being cold...what about toilets? out house? I really don't know what to expect and am trying to prepare so I am dressed appropriately plus being comfortable too.

I will be in the wedding photos as this is a very close relation to my spouse.  

I am thinking of a maxi dress...not to fancy...and packing fleece leggings to put on if it starts getting to cold.  And some type of warm coat/jacket.  When I asked my spouse what do we wear he said "I don't know...jeans and boots?" I don't think that would be ok for us...if we weren't a close relation and in photos then perhaps.

Is it too soon to begin shopping for this event??

Thanks for the ideas!

In most areas of the US, September is still warm.  The time of day and the location is important.  Personally I would never wear jeans to a wedding, particularly if I was going to be photographed.   A maxi dress with a pretty wrap or jacket would be appropriate. If you worry about being cold, I'd go for tights before fleece leggings.

As for your husband, I'd go with a navy sports jacket with khaki or gray pants.

There must be some relative who would give you a hint what to wear.

Honored Contributor

Re: What Would You Wear?

[ Edited ]

Where is the wedding?  It's still pretty warm, hotter than hades some places, in September.  Shoes will probably be the big issue, count on either muddy ground in case of rain or dirty and dusty if dry.

We actually have indoor plumbing at our fair grounds.  You could always refrain from drinking anything. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment