Respected Contributor

Re: What Would You Call These Dresses?

@Iwantcoffee  I love the Max Mara dress.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@Iwantcoffee @I tried to ost some of these but they wouldn't post because it said their file size was too high. Do you know why or how you were able to post them. Mine came from google images or from stores carrying the dresses. 

Hello @Mindy D If I recall correctly I posted all the images from the website selling the shirtdresses. I was surprised at how many are being offered. Also found brands I had not heard of, one brand was Finley. This Finley shirtdress is $360.00

Honored Contributor

Shirtwaist dresses. Used to wear them when I had a waist.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

@santorini wrote:

Jane T. dresses.

@santorini You took the words right off my keyboard, lol.  First person I thought of, JT, and not in a complimentary way.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

I remember always wearing dresses to grade school, until the issue of girls wearing pants came up.  Someone said something to the effect that the school never said that girls could not wear pants.  I remember my Dad taking me to a local store and me picking out some pants.  I think they were striped!  I was so excited to wear pants to school.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Looks like the classic shirtwaist dress that has never gone out if style.  There has not been a period during my lifetime when it has not been "in style".

@Kachina624 

Yes, shirt waist dresses have always been in style since the 1950's when Christian Dior made them popular.  

@Foxxee   They were popular in the Nineteenth Century with a fitted bodice, often pintucked, with a long full gathered skirt, long sleeves, high neck.  I believe it was the original.

Here are 19th Century shirt waists.

Screenshot_20230605-183631_kindlephoto-118034190.png

@Kachina624 These are much more flattering, sexy even, that the original OP's picture.

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

They are dresses my grandma wore.  Spiffy for the times.

The ugly comments to this thread shows the persons  character.

@Imaoldhippie Just because someone does not like something does not demean that person's character.  We all have different tastes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips ...........No a difference in opinion does not demean anyones character.  However, the ugly, mean words used does.

Example...........I do not care for the red shirt.  A nice opinion.

That red shirt is frumpy, old lady looking and I would not wear it out in public.  An opinion but is clearly meant to degrade anyone that likes that red shirt.

There are many on here that prefer to use the 2nd opinion option hiding behind the 2nd amendment.  Which by the way is not written to make it ok to say mean, nasty, ugly, rude comments to people.

Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Regular Contributor

And what do you think people will say about your clothes 60 or 70 years from today?  Those dresses were day dresses and not house dresses. My grandmother always wore an apron over her house dress!

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Puppy Lips ...........No a difference in opinion does not demean anyones character.  However, the ugly, mean words used does.

Example...........I do not care for the red shirt.  A nice opinion.

That red shirt is frumpy, old lady looking and I would not wear it out in public.  An opinion but is clearly meant to degrade anyone that likes that red shirt.

There are many on here that prefer to use the 2nd opinion option hiding behind the 2nd amendment.  Which by the way is not written to make it ok to say mean, nasty, ugly, rude comments to people.

Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now.

@Imaoldhippie I don't see it that way.  Those opinions are commenting on someone else's style, not their character.  If you don't like something, it does not mean much to say you don't like it.  If you state WHY you don't like it, then other people can agree or disagree or reassess their own opinion.  Saying something looks "old lady" means that is what the person looking at it sees.