Respected Contributor

Re: What Would You Call These Dresses?

I call them shirtwaist dresses. For those too young to remember, there were times when women couldn't wear pants in an office setting or to school. I am 72 and my first job at a bank would not allow women to wear pants. I don't think these dresses are ugly at all, maybe not anything I'd wear now but I'd surely wear updated versions. Guess this sounds judgmental but I'd much prefer these to some of the "fashions" young ladies are now wearing.

Honored Contributor

They are dresses my grandma wore.  Spiffy for the times.

The ugly comments to this thread shows the persons  character.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Zhills ..........I think the date is right on.  It may be 1958 or 59.  But no earlier.  Basing my thought on the car you can see to the right.  That is a very late 1950's or 1960 model.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I'm sure if the picture was in color they would look a lot prettier. My grandmother wore these. My mother worked and wore a lot of polyester pant suits.  She rode the bus downtown so dresses probably weren't practical for her.

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Zhills ..........I think the date is right on.  It may be 1958 or 59.  But no earlier.  Basing my thought on the car you can see to the right.  That is a very late 1950's or 1960 model.

It may well have been taken in the 1960s but the only person I ever saw wear those type "stockings" was my Grandma and she died at 85 when I was 

in Junior high school....I am 85+ now!

Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee @I tried to ost some of these but they wouldn't post because it said their file size was too high. Do you know why or how you were able to post them. Mine came from google images or from stores carrying the dresses. 

Respected Contributor

My grandmothers wore dresses like that. I was born in 1958 and honestly, had to fight with my mother to wear slacks/jeans. Woman were supposed to wear modest dresses. Slacks/Jeans showed to much! I would hate to think about what these woman would think about today's styles. Leggings, tee shirts. I can't imagine. 

Respected Contributor

I am sure in the future we will be looked at like some of you are looking at these dresses.  It was appropriate for the times, and my grandmother wore these dresses.    

Contributor

Timeless, classic, elegant and the gentlemen look nice as well!!!

Respected Contributor

@Iwantcoffee   I had one similar to the third one and that was in the 80's.