Twill Utility Midi Shirtdress

Trench-Back Shirtdress

Cotton Midi Shirtdress

Twill Utility Midi Shirtdress

Honored Contributor

Re: What Would You Call These Dresses?

@Desertdi wrote:

This is more like what women were wearing in 1960:

+51 1960s summer fashion Looks & Inspirations - POLYVORE - Discover and Shop Trends in Fashion ...

Yes ,this is what we wore,in the 60's,not what the other post pictures said,our grandmothers wore those.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Max Mara

Linen and cotton shirt dress - BRONZE - Max Mara

Polo Ralph Lauren

Ralph Lauren - Girls' Denim Shirt Dress with Belt - Little Kid, Big Kid

Esteemed Contributor

We always called them Shirtdresses.  I was not a fan of the style then or now.  There are a few exceptions.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

@DREAMON wrote:

I would call them ..straight out of my Aunt Pearls closet. She wore them every day. 

My Mom never wore them..she wore ankle length slacks (they always had a side zip and button) with a cute top or sweater...more like Audrey Hepburn. In the Summer she wore shift dresses and sandals or shorts and a  short sleeve cotton button down shirt. Occasionally a sleeveless top.  

My Mom dressed in the Audrey Hepburn style too. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Yes  @Snicks1   I agree. Heck when I was in 7th, 8th, 9th grades or so I had a couple of shirt dresses for school. This would have been early-mid 1960s. 

Now that I think about it, we had a Butterick dress pattern that was a sleeveless shirt dress my older sister made, I wore it too. It was really a cooler more up to date version than these ladies.

Honored Contributor

That photo reminds me of being at my Grandmother and Grandfather's home every Sunday after church for lunch.  Most Sunday's two of my Grandmother's older sisters and their husbands came as well.  Neither couple had any children so my grandparents shared us with them.  We children were truly blessed and the dresses remind me of those days of backyard croquet.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

1960s.jpg

This picture was taken in the Fall of 1960!   The shorter dresses were later in the 60s.  These women are in their late 20s.  I am one of them!

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

This is more like what women were wearing in 1960:

+51 1960s summer fashion Looks & Inspirations - POLYVORE - Discover and Shop Trends in Fashion ...

Yes ,this is what we wore,in the 60's,not what the other post pictures said,our grandmothers wore those.

That is more all my Mom dressed in the early 1970's.  I was born in 1961 so as far as the other dresses my Mother did not wear them but my grandmothers did.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Chico's poplin tie waist shirt dress

Poplin Tie Waist Shirt Dress