Honored Contributor

Re: What Would You Call These Dresses?

What ladies wore in the long ago past.

Respected Contributor

shirt waist style dresses have been basics in all my decades on earth.

i'd post a pic of the google search but anyone can do a simple search and see this

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have pictures of my grandparents from way back with my grandmothers wearing those dresses.  I know in the pictures I have that one of my grandmothers was only in her late 40's and the other about 59 but looked like at least in their 80's.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

That was the style in that era.  I remember my grandmother wearing them,.  My mom did as well but she wore an apron over hers while at home.  We called them house dresses.

@Scooby Doo Since my mom was a WAC who wore slacks in WWII she never wore dresses around the house, but aunts did.

What we called "house dresses" were more like a robe than these dresses, and often over-the-head without buttons.  Later on they were also called Patio Dresses--which were looser, more flared and more colorful than house dresses.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

These are shirtwaist dresses with a flared or A line skirt.  Shirtwaist because of the buttons.  If no buttons, just a flared skirt.  A shirtwaist dress can also have a pencil skirt or a circle skirt.

I did wear dresses with flared or circle skirts in the 1980s.  They were fashionable then.  They were not shirtwaist.  They are most flattering with a small waist, which I had then!  Not so good on middle-aged and older bodies.

I prefer sheath or shift or wrap dreses myself.

One of my grandmothers, RIP, born in 1910, all my life I saw her wear sheath dresses.  She always looked good.  She made them herself until she couldn't.

They are now not easy to find at retail except sleeveless, which I don't care for.

Respected Contributor

What a sweet picture. Made me smile I would call them shirtwaist dresses. The ladies are wearing their dress shoes with heels and pocketbooks. The gentlemen are wearing nice pants with ties. House dresses were for everyday wear at home with an apron and sensible shoes.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My grandmothers wore these dresses. They were lovely ladies and this picture brings back such good memories. No they were not ugly or frumpy but just dresses that ladies wore in the 40's, and  50's. I hope that my children and granddaughter look back at what I wore in the 60's and 70's and even today and have positive memories. 

We are more than our fashion.

Honored Contributor

Shirtwaist style

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Shirtwaist dresses complete with accompanying girdle, hose and obligatory pocketbook. A time when women were expected to play by the "rules."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

SHIRTDRESSES ARE BACK IN A BIG WAY

See these from Burberry, St. John, Akris punto, Ralph Lauren. The Akris Punto looks very similar to the ones from the Jane T line.

IMG_1733.jpegIMG_1731.jpegIMG_1730.jpegIMG_1728.jpeg