Honored Contributor

Re: What Would You Call These Dresses?

[ Edited ]

QVC TSVs??  LOL!!

Seriously, for the time very appropriate and when I was a teenager in the '60s I wore "shirtwaist" dresses and still love them.

I would love to see what people 60 years from now say about the "fashions" today!

Respected Contributor

That was the style in that era.  I remember my grandmother wearing them,.  My mom did as well but she wore an apron over hers while at home.  We called them house dresses.

Honored Contributor

shirtwaist dress

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

We need to always keep things in proper perspective. Fifty years from now, there will be vintage pictures of people in jeans with random rips, top to bottom. That future viewers of those photos will say, "What were they thinking?" Trends come and go. I think these ladies look lovely. 

Respected Contributor

I think these ladies look very lovely and were dressed appropriately for the time.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @on the bay.  They were called shirtwaist dresses.  I have a picture of myself from 1964 wearing one at the Worlds Fair in NY.

They were the " go to" style back then.  We wore them to church and for going out everyday dresses when we wanted to look nice. 

There were also house dresses and more dressy dresses for weddings and the like.

Contributor

Cotton Shirtwaist, full skirt made them cool in the summer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

These dresses whether called house dresses or shirt waist dresses were comfortable and go to fashions of the time.  However,  I would call them happy because they bring back such wonderful memories of my grandmothers and mom who wore them!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Ugly, frumpy, outdated. 

Nasty remarks like this are so uncalled for. Says a lot about a person.

@RetRN , I believe the question was what would you call these dresses. There is no need to get huffy because you don't like the answer. My mom never wore a dress like this. Fashion changes and we are all entitled to our opinion. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I recall those being shirtwaist dresses.  Very popular at the time and a precursor of the dresses we wear today.  My grandmothers wore them looser like those pictured and my aunts and mother wore them more fitted and a bit shorter.  

I don't see a need to call them ugly.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.