Honored Contributor

Re: What Store Would You Chose To Work At For The Discounts?

@roeroe1005 wrote:

In high school I worked at Alexander's (for all you NYers).  When I began working in "real" jobs, I still worked in retail part time. 

I worked at Macy's part time when my boyfriend dumped me because I didn't know what to do with myself.

I ended up working at Saks Fifth Avenue, part time, for 20+ years.  I still worked in corporate, but wanted to save extra cash for a car.  My schedule was Sundays, 11:30a to 5:30p and 2 evenings, 6p to 9:30p and literally did not leave until the store in my area closed.  I worked in jewelry department and I loved it.  It was so different than what I did during the day. 

We had a 30% discount on mostly everything (including sale) and 20% off cosmetics.  After a while, we would get a 44% discount and 30% on cosmetics.  Oh gosh, all the females in my family wore Bobbi Brown, Chanel & Erno Laszlo makeup.  And everyone wore SFA clothing and accessories.  I still have a couple of pairs of Stuart Weitzman shoes!  They are over 20 years old!  I think my best buy was a white Calvin Klein tank dress that I paid $8!

I eventually stopped working in 2008 at SFA.  When the economy tanked, all the part timers were let go.  I have to say, I don't miss the pain in the butt customers, but I still do miss that discount!  And I have not stepped into a SFA since I was let go.

@roeroe1005

I LOVED Alexander's!   Went to the one on Queens Blvd frequently.  They had really great stuff and good prices.

Honored Contributor

I would work at a jewelry store, not just for the discounts but for the knowledge of the business.

But I did love it when my DD worked at Gap part time a few years ago.

However I would never work at a clothing store for the discounts, they always have great sales and offer ways to get deep discounts.

It's been quite a few years ago but I worked a kiosk at a local mall at Christmas, it was fun for a lot of reasons plus extra money.    I would swap my product with employees for product at other stores sometimes.   I would never work at Macy's at Christmas, Macy's is so strict and stayed open long after the mall closed those last few weeks before Christmas because they had direct access to the mall parking lot.    

I closed my kiosk when the mall closed.   I think Macy's stayed open until midnight.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Talbots

I always thought it might be fun to work in one of the Disney World mega merchandise stores in the Magic Kingdom.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG.    I am no longer able to enjoy shopping in stores.  Due to chronic back pain I can only walk or stand maybe 5 minutes, then I've got to sit.  So catalog and TV shopping have been wonderful for me.  Too bad because I used to love to shop.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ECBG.    I am no longer able to enjoy shopping in stores.  Due to chronic back pain I can only walk or stand maybe 5 minutes, then I've got to sit.  So catalog and TV shopping have been wonderful for me.  Too bad because I used to love to shop.

@Kachina624Ohhhhhhh....So sorry!  I'll be glad to tell you about my fun days if you'd like.  You can be with us in spirit if you like.

Also, when I'm home, and on the computer, I also love to look at bloggers.  There are several good ones, one a former model for Chicos.  Do you watch any of the bloggers?Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG. No, no bloggers.  I'm sure you and i would have fun shopping together because I think you, like me, like things kind of arty and "different" as with the Peruvian Connection and handmade deerskin bags.  I used to love juried arts & crafts shows.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ECBG. No, no bloggers.  I'm sure you and i would have fun shopping together because I think you, like me, like things kind of arty and "different" as with the Peruvian Connection and handmade deerskin bags.  I used to love juried arts & crafts shows.

@Kachina624OH!  That would be a combination of trouble for sure!!!

Image result for cartoon of two old ladies shopping together

Honored Contributor

I don't want to work at all.  I'd rather be independently wealthy.

i have worked retail before, but I would not do it again even if the discounts were great.  I'd rather just wait for a sale.

Honored Contributor

Nordstrom. And not just for the discount. If I had to work retail I'd want to work for a company with smart policies that will be around for a while!

Esteemed Contributor

The only clothing store I ever wanted to work at was our old Coldwater Creek.  Loved their clothes, the beautiful decor, the store's design, and especially the soft jazz they played constantly.  Shopping there was an experience.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt