Esteemed Contributor

Re: What I Wore (w/e 9/23/23)...

[ Edited ]

@MacDuFF : Hello and Happy Fall friend!

Great post, as always. I'm loving red this season. Your thrifted red linen blend shirt & military jacket are awesome! The red twill jean jacket I ordered from a WM seller was way too small. Returned it the next day. That's what I get for buying retail, LOL.

Those boots are really special. They will make any outfit. 

Somehow I just knew you would not rest until you made that ruana work for you! I agree that it will drape even better when you remove a bit more of the bulk. It's so pretty.

I only bought at one of the thrifts visited last week, but I hit the mother lode there! It was my fave thrift's semi-annual "designer" sale, and it did not disappoint! The spring sale was just OK, but this one was epic- so much so that I drove the distance in the rain and returned for more goodies the following day. Most items were new or like new as well as classic leather bags in excellent condition.

Too many items to list, and I do not want to hijack your thread. Labels purchased include: D&B, Kate Spade, Coach Ashley and Cole Haan bags, NB, MBT & On Cloud sneakers-all 3 new, leather (Blondo) and suede knee high boots, Good American (NWT) shirt, JNY & Karl Lagerfeld Paris jackets. Sale prices were over 75% off on average.

The weather has been cold and rainy here. Ugly! Waiting for Indian Summer to commence. 

Have a great week and stay your stylish self!

Super Contributor

@Desert Lily   @shoptilyadropagain   @jlkz    I vaguely remember that lola quit teaching for another job in the corporate world (?), and I haven't "seen" her since. Her last post was 8/27/22. Yes, she was a considerate poster, very creative, and so good at finding things...and enabling us! Did y'all know that she had the first WIW/OOTD-type thread back in the day? She truly had an enviable boot collection.

@Tori3569   Queen of shop (sorry I can't @ notify you!) and others    Who all was betting that I'd start doing a regular cowboy boot Ebay search? You win hahaha! Honestly, I think boots have to be tried on in real life, so I might just have to drive out to Lebo's soon.

@kate2357    Usually, reworking a scarf is easy, but there are a few things to think about. If the scarf has a pretty border or fringe, you'll lose that (especially if you are making a square scarf smaller...a rectangle/oblong with fringe on the ends won't be a problem).  Losing the border sometimes changes the aesthetic too much. Use a basting stitch and iron the edge...makes sewing that small "hem" a lot easier, believe me.

@Lisa Y  "pocket square!" Bwahahahahaha!!

@DSD2  The red Talbots is the perfect shade of red for me...I love it, too.

@wilma    I'm having a hard time picturing you as a singer in a country band! (Especially without cowboy boots, which should be mandatory haha.) That sounds like fun. Do you have pics? Did you sing Alan Jackson's Chattahoochee song (I do a pretty good rendition of it, if I do say so myself)?  

Hey @queendiva   I'm totally jealous...what a haul! I'd give anything to go to that designer sale with you. 

@lolakimono  many of us miss you and wish you well.

Thanks to all.  

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Honored Contributor

Those boots are amazing!  What a great friend!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@MacDuFF I must say I usually agree spot on with the things you wear and the way you wear them.

The boots?  Not so much. They are a little too big, bold and "cowboy" for you.  Have fun with them, but their personality I'm not sure is a great fit for you!  Woman Wink  Just being really honest, and my opinion only!  Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDuFF wrote:

@wilma    I'm having a hard time picturing you as a singer in a country band! (Especially without cowboy boots, which should be mandatory haha.) That sounds like fun. Do you have pics? Did you sing Alan Jackson's Chattahoochee song

@MacDuFF 

I never imagined I would sing in a country band either. My vocal training is not really suited to that kind of music. In addition, most country music is written in a lower key. I'm a first soprano, but I can also sing in the alto range. 

Here's the story:

A friend of mine was in the band, and their female vocalist quit when she had her baby. He knew me from church, and he knew I could sing so he had me audition for the band. After hearing me sing, they said I was too good to sing with them. 😱

I thought they were serious, but they begged me to sing with them. It was always on my bucket list to sing in public at someplace other than a church so I accepted. They taught me to sing differently. I learned how to sing less "perfectly" and add a bit of twang to my voice. My mother was appalled when she came to hear me sing. She definitely preferred my classic singing voice.

I sang with the band for a couple years. I sang classic and contemporary country songs by female artists. We also sang some folk and gospel music. We sang at outdoor festivals and in restaurants and bars. It was difficult because I was teaching full time. I had choir practice Wednesday night and band practice Friday night. I sang with the band on Saturday and at church Sunday. 

My husband might have a photo of those days. I will check with him. 

Esteemed Contributor

@MacDuFF : Yes, my thrift haul was epic. The only way it could have been better is if I had been shopping the sale with you, my friend.

You were definitely there with me in spirit. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1    Thank you. My friend is a generous soul.

Hey @Sooner   I hear ya. One of the things that always held me back from buying cowboy boots (the expensive, real ones) was how much use I would realistically get out of them...would they fit in with my lifestyle?

Oddly enough, the cowboy influence has come and gone many times in my life. For several years, I hung out with friends who were members of the Santee Indian tribe in SoCal and often went to their yearly roundup/rodeo. I also spent time in Montana back in the day, where I had a hat custom made for me by the owner of Kirkpatrick Hat Company, Wisdom, MT. A friend's daughter was an equestrian (dressage), and I was invited to lots of competitions. An old flame was a back country horseman. I see cowboy boots now and then in my current location, too.

But, you have a point...I'm not a cowgirl! They do, however, satisfy my need for "something different" in my closet. I've had them for about three weeks and have worn them twice, so that's a good sign. And, I think I have some sweaters that will "go" with them (I'll probably end up wearing them exclusively in winter). I'm sure I'll get enough use out of them to justify the cost = free! If nothing else, I can wear them when I have to run up to Tractor Supply...I'll finally fit right in hahaha. My biggest problem with these is the color...olive doesn't fit in my closet!

Thanks for your comments...they reminded me to dig out and dust off my cowboy hat. Isn't it interesting what you find out about posters?! Case in point...

@wilma    What a great story and a great experience. That's funny about your Mom. Is there anything else we should know...a stint in a heavy metal band perhaps (Mom would be mortified haha)? Maybe opera (would make Mom happy)?  grin.gif A pic would be priceless for posterity, and I hope you can find a pic to share with us, too.

@queendiva   Thrifting is always an adventure and a great feeling when you score big time! Wear all your fabulous finds in good health.

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDuFF Woman LOL We are thinking the same thing about the boots!  I am a cowgirl! Growing up farming and ranching, riding and roping!   Haven't been on a horse in 40 years--and I sure do miss it!  

What fun you must have had with the rodeo people--and a good looking cowboy in tight jeans is a sight to behold!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDuFF wrote:

@wilma    What a great story and a great experience. That's funny about your Mom. Is there anything else we should know...a stint in a heavy metal band perhaps (Mom would be mortified haha)? Maybe opera (would make Mom happy)? 
grin.gif A pic would be priceless for posterity, and I hope you can find a pic to share with us, too

@MacDuFF 

My mom was also a singer in our church. It's one of the things she really missed once she got older and couldn't make it to church anymore. She loved hearing me sing at church, especially Schubert's "Ave Maria". She and my dad both passed away in 2012. 

No other deep dark secrets I care to share, for now. 😉

Still looking for a photo. 

Esteemed Contributor

My vote this week goes to look #1.  The cranberry top is a winner.

You were fortunate to receive these boots......a big $avings.  I have had cowboy boots in the past.  I never liked the look of wearing them on the outside of my jeans so they got very little wear.  I enjoyed looking at them in my closet for years until I finally threw them into a donate bag.  Someone somewhere, hopefully, is enjoying that pair of Dingos. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!