Valued Contributor

What I Wore 7/14/24...

[ Edited ]

Hi fashion friends.

The heat and humidity finally arrived...ugh...hate it.

Wearing mostly my "summer uniform" of cotton or linen button front blouse (think I have 23-ish) with various iterations of my favorite cropped summer jean, AG Isabelle.

Also wearing dresses and skirts, which I'm determined to wear more often because they are so cool and comfortable. The trick has been to find dresses and skirts that are casual enough for my neck of the woods and my lifestyle and, of course, that are "me." These are the only dresses left in my closet after a mini-purge a few weeks ago.

*Textured pre-shrunk cotton blouse from Focus Casual Life (from shopmyfairlady dot com). This one is an icy blue (have it in white and black, too). I wear all three often...wash, dry, wear. *AG Isabelle. *E-thrifted J.Jill tropical flower espadrilles (love!). *Jewelry and thrifted straw SAK that y'all have seen dozens of times 😁.

*Very old cotton gauze dress from World Market, Crocs, e-thrifted straw bag.  Great for the beach, too.

*Thrifted ditsy floral no-name dress...I'm guessing rayon or viscose...beautiful hand and drape...super cool and comfortable...hand-wash, hang dry. Button placket is sewn, so it just pops over my head. *Very old thrifted embroidered cropped blouse, tied in front (dress is short sleeved, which I don't wear because...vanity 😮😆). This is the dressed up version.  Lightweight mid wash denim cropped jacket on buy list to wear with it and white sneaks for a dressed down look. *Old thrifted blue suede espadrilles.

I thought you might get a chuckle out of this...

Saw this new-with-tags pale yellow sweater tied around the shoulders on a display at my local thrift. A shade of yellow I can wear! When I took it off the display, I noticed it wasn't a sweater...although the sleeves were "normal," it was just a flat piece of woven linen blend. The fact that my first thought was "Oh, look!  This is so unusual!!" should have been my first clue. My second clue was the fleeting thought that it was too preppy for me...have I ever worn a sweater over my shoulders?  Naturally, I overrode my better fashion judgement and purchased😬...it's hard to find a shade of yellow I can wear (she rationalized).

I didn't have my reading glasses on, so when I squinted at the original price tag, I was sure I saw something like "bananas" or "buttermilk" or some such yellow-y word. When I got home and put on my reading glasses, I realized it read, "bumwarmer!" It's supposed to go around the waist to warm your bum! I laughed and laughed and laughed! 🤣🤣🤣

Who ever heard of such a thing!? A bumwarmer!

No way was I going to wear a bumwarmer. My bum is warm enough thankyouverymuch, and, even if my bum was freezing, I wouldn't wear a sweater/bumwarmer around my waist. I could just imagine all the younger yoga ladies or dancers snickering behind my back, saying, "Well, bless her heart!" 👵

Do you have a summer "uniform?" Do you wear sweaters over your shoulders?  Do you wear bumwarmers!? 😉

I hope everyone has a lovely week.  Stay cool!

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Trusted Contributor

Re: What I Wore 7/14/24...

[ Edited ]

@MacDuFF  I am a  casual dress/skirt person most of the time.  As always, you look nice, especially in your dresses.  Stay Cool 😎 

Honored Contributor

@MacDuFF wrote:

Hi fashion friends.

The heat and humidity finally arrived...ugh...hate it.

Wearing mostly my "summer uniform" of cotton or linen button front blouse (think I have 23-ish) with various iterations of my favorite cropped summer jean, AG Isabelle.

Also wearing dresses and skirts, which I'm determined to wear more often because they are so cool and comfortable. The trick has been to find dresses and skirts that are casual enough for my neck of the woods and my lifestyle and, of course, that are "me." These are the only dresses left in my closet after a mini-purge a few weeks ago.

*Textured pre-shrunk cotton blouse from Focus Casual Life (from shopmyfairlady dot com). This one is an icy blue (have it in white and black, too). I wear all three often...wash, dry, wear. *AG Isabelle. *E-thrifted J.Jill tropical flower espadrilles (love!). *Jewelry and thrifted straw SAK that y'all have seen dozens of times 😁.

*Very old cotton gauze dress from World Market, Crocs, e-thrifted straw bag.  Great for the beach, too.

*Thrifted ditsy floral no-name dress...I'm guessing rayon or viscose...beautiful hand and drape...super cool and comfortable...hand-wash, hang dry. Button placket is sewn, so it just pops over my head. *Very old thrifted embroidered cropped blouse, tied in front (dress is short sleeved, which I don't wear because...vanity 😮😆). This is the dressed up version.  Lightweight mid wash denim cropped jacket on buy list to wear with it and white sneaks for a dressed down look. *Old thrifted blue suede espadrilles.

I thought you might get a chuckle out of this...

Saw this new-with-tags pale yellow sweater tied around the shoulders on a display at my local thrift. A shade of yellow I can wear! When I took it off the display, I noticed it wasn't a sweater...although the sleeves were "normal," it was just a flat piece of woven linen blend. The fact that my first thought was "Oh, look!  This is so unusual!!" should have been my first clue. My second clue was the fleeting thought that it was too preppy for me...have I ever worn a sweater over my shoulders?  Naturally, I overrode my better fashion judgement and purchased😬...it's hard to find a shade of yellow I can wear (she rationalized).

I didn't have my reading glasses on, so when I squinted at the original price tag, I was sure I saw something like "bananas" or "buttermilk" or some such yellow-y word. When I got home and put on my reading glasses, I realized it read, "bumwarmer!" It's supposed to go around the waist to warm your bum! I laughed and laughed and laughed! 🤣🤣🤣

Who ever heard of such a thing!? A bumwarmer!

No way was I going to wear a bumwarmer. My bum is warm enough thankyouverymuch, and, even if my bum was freezing, I wouldn't wear a sweater/bumwarmer around my waist. I could just imagine all the younger yoga ladies or dancers snickering behind my back, saying, "Well, bless her heart!" 👵

Do you have a summer "uniform?" Do you wear sweaters over your shoulders?  Do you wear bumwarmers!? 😉

I hope everyone has a lovely week.  Stay cool!

You definitely have an eye for fashion. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@MacDuFF 

I really like the black and white gauze dress. I would wear that a lot.

No...can't say I ever worn a bum warmer sweater. Can't say I ever heard of a bum warmer that was, um clothing. 🤣 I don't have a long, elegant neck....so no to wearing a sweater tied over my shoulders.

I do have a summer uniform. Jeans and a tank, skirt with a tank, shorts with a tank. Getting the theme? Depending on where I am going, may throw a linen shirt over the tank or a summer weight zip up jacket. My life is super casual these days. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

RI e: What I Wore 7/14/24...

I love your dresses especially the black gauze .  I agree about wearing light dresses or blouses and skirts in the warm weather just for a change from pants.  I have some dresses , very casual but mainly wear crops and tops!!!!  I have so many casual tops , shirts and tees.  I like Capri's also .  

The story of the bumwarmer gave me a laugh!  No, I have never owned a bumwarmer and do not wear anything around my neck, sweatshirts or sweaters, as I do not care for that look. During these hot humid days, ugh, I try to wear loose comfortable outfits.

Thanks for the fun and fashions!!!!!

Super Contributor

You look especially good in #3 -- wear it often!

Regular Contributor

RE: the bumwarmer.   sometime 2 decades ago the [shortlived] fashion thing was to wear  "sweater sleeves" tied around the waist and then stores started selling knit tops with attached "sweaters" at the bottom hem of the top. so it appeared like you were wearing a matching sweater tied at the waist.   maybe your "bumwarmer" was an accessory piece for a twin set wearer who preferred the look as "separates".

this is a very obscure piece of retail knowledge but i did see this trust me !  the INC brand had a few styles in the collection. 

i've been wearing linen crops and lightweight knit tops ...but suddenly find they are all in the post wash pile and my iron has vanished.

Honored Contributor

#2 -- that look on you is amazing!  I love and want that dress!  You should wear more dresses!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

My favorite is the black gauze dress!   

Oh....and I've never heard of a bun warmer, at least not in the fashion world.  LOL!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

@MacDuFF  I am still chuckling over your bum warmer. Hey, it might just work during the winter months. You never know!

Those dresses look nice on you. I'm more of a shorts girl myself. 
At this point, we wear whatever is cool and comfy during these ridiculously hot and humid months.