Honored Contributor

Re: What Do You Think of This New Trend?

Enufstuff:   I had the same espadrilles!  Loved them.  

I easily envision your outfits!

I used to sew skirts, simple shift dresses, and loved to sew dolman sleeves on tops.  Very easy for me.  

There are three similar sleeve descriptions:  Dolman, raglan, and another one I don't recall.  All easy sewing for me.  

Loved to sew boat neck types of tops, too.  Straight across, more or less.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s.  Skirts, too.  Simple styles of skirts were easy for me to sew.

Also, I just don't know how I managed to do all of that sewing with work and school/college, etc.  

Now-a-days, there doesn't seem to be any time to even write a long letter, which I also used to do.  Two, three, four page letters to distant friends/relatives.  

And, they wrote back to me, too.  Maybe one or two pages from them, which I truly appreciated and now appreciate even more.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Isn't that much like the old Preppie look from years ago?

@Icegoddess  I remember that from years ago. I feel like I'm Rip Van Winkle and I just woke up.

Esteemed Contributor

@stellabystarlight wrote:

I still remember wearing your buttoned cardigan backwards with the buttons at the back.

I read that that trend from the 50s & 60s is coming back.

------------------------------------------------------------------

They need to let it die.

Esteemed Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

I don't care whats in, out, chic, on trend,  or even if I don't care for it, it's my choice to buy or not and pass on by. 

@mspatmac  I'm right there with you!!

Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

If someone wants to wear this look that is for them to decide. Doesn't bother me at all.

Exactly. Why would I not be "OK with it"?

@jonbon  - I guess. I'd never seen it until recently. Cardigans tied around shoulders yes; in fact I've done that. But long sleeved T-shirts that don't open in front? Looks sloppy to me. And when they show the look from the back? Why would you spoil the look of a pretty top or dress? That's why I was wondering how many people would be OK wearing it! 

Respected Contributor

@ROMARY  When I sewed for myself, I made some of the things you mentioned. Sleeveless boatnecks and shift dresses were so easy.

I also made a trapese dress, are you old enough to remember those? It was very short. I  mostly made clothes with set in sleeves. Another type of sleeve is a cap sleeve or batwing. Might one of those be what you were thinking of?

I  made a lot of dresses for my three girls, when they were little. I also made lined jackets, capes and coats. One time I even made a navy blue lined Nehru jacket for my husband.

Respected Contributor

@ROMARY  When my brother was away at college and I was

home with my babies, we wrote letters to each other. We would

get into all kinds of philosophical things. Sometimes I'd write 7-8

pages and I'd send him some goodies that I baked.

This was during that Vietnam war era.

Suppose they gave a war and nobody came.

Make love not war.

We said that then.

Who would ever have thought that this many years  later, we would see such a horrific war live on TV in 2022?

"Where have all the flowers gone? When will they ever learn?"

Peter, Paul & Mary

Honored Contributor

EnufStuff:   Yes!  I guess it's 'batwing' sleeves that I was thinking about.

Although, I don't recall sewing large batwing sleeves.  Mostly dolman and raglan, which I believe is less wide/big. 

It's so nice to reminisce...............

Thank you.   Have a nice Sunday and week ahead.  Everyone.

Honored Contributor

p.s.  EnufStuff:

I must add that my favorite skirt patterns were 'hollywood waist' types.

No actual waistband.  Just smooth at the waist area, and easier for me to sew, as I wasn't a 'seamstress' by any means.  

I miss those days, spending time browsing through patterns and fabrics.  Very relaxing.