Honored Contributor

Re: What Do You Think of This New Trend?

That "trend" has been going on since the 1920's.  See it a lot in old movies.   I dont care for it, but many do.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@stellabystarlight wrote:

I still remember wearing your buttoned cardigan backwards with the buttons at the back.

I read that that trend from the 50s & 60s is coming back.

I'm from the 60 - 70, never heard or seen anything like that. 

There was a short-lived trend of Shaker knit sweaters in the early 80s in solid colors with a deep V neckline.

I was working in retail fashion then, and we were told we could wear the V in the front or the back.  I remember I had a yellow one that hit me right above the knees and I wore it backwards with a string of pearls, V in the back.  We always wore tank tops under them because the V was so deep. I had a tank top that was white with a blue and yellow pattern on it.

This was around the time of Madonna and that kind of "look", which I have never heard a real term for!

I thought we made cute outfits out of them.  You could do them sporty, too, but it seems like within a year or so Shaker sweaters were no long trending, and that particular style never made a comeback.

Thinking back on it now, the outfits we made sound horrendous, but that's fashion for you. 

Honored Contributor

I don't see that style statement as "chic".  I haven't seen tied tees in catalogs or "Street Style".

I'm sure the vendor wanted the viewer to see their product is "hot".

Honored Contributor

The cardigan worn buttoned up the back was a "thing" in the mid-late 60s. 

I made a suit (straight skirt and jacket) in green and off/white and couldn't find a long sleeve crew neck sweater top to wear with it - but my sister had a green cardigan in the exact green shade.  

We shared the cardigan .... she wore it buttons in front, I wore it with my suit - buttons in the back.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I still sometimes wear (when I think of it) my cardi's backwards.

With a small scarf, tied at one side.

Love, love that look!

Sort of 'Isaac'-ish styling, imo.

p.s.  I guess I was 'copying' my older sisters at the time.  Had fun watching sweaters and pins that they 'threw around' while putting together outfits, etc. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

To answer the cardi wrapped around the shoulders, I like the look.

Very 'preppy'.

Also, if one lives in a breezy area, and on cooler days, nice to not have to carry around an extra sweater while on walks, browsing around, etc..

Just wear it on our shoulders.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@HLP @stellabystarlight  I live on the east coast near Boston and we did that in the 60's. I have a picture of myself in a soft

yellow cardigan, buttoned in back. 1964.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY : Think that look (sweater around neck) is a bit dated.

Trusted Contributor

I'm not really fond of the t-shirt thing, but I loved the shaker knit sweater look in the 80's. The Limited started that look (at least in this area) and their sweaters were the best. I can't even tell you how many I owned. Most were Vs neck but I did have a couple crew neck. I still wear a basic ribbed tank backwards under a deep V to get more chest coverage.

Super Contributor

Well I guess if you spill something on the shirt you were wearing, you would have a spare shirt tied around your neck to change into.