Honored Contributor

Re: What Colors Are Best For You? Justine Leconte:)

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

@ECBG - I've never heard of her before, but I just watched the videos you posted and found them interesting. 

I've been playing around with this for a long time, ever since I was a "model" for Carole Jackson's team. 

I do believe in color theory. For years, I have used it. What she says about the right colors making you look radiant and the wrong ones making you look tired is so true!  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom,How very interesting!!!!!!!  

Then you know what I mean when I say a winter doesn't change to an autumn or any other season because of hair color changes?

Is your picture in the book?  What did you "do" for her?  Can't wait to hear!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG

BEST COLORS:  

Bright canary yellow 

Bright orange 

Emerald 

Optic white

Taupe with pink or gray

Wine

Black 

Bittersweet chocolate 

Royal blue 

Most blues 

Clear bright green 

Purple

Periwinkle

WORST COLORS

Any pale orange

Any yellows with orange or beige undertones

Ivory whites

Khaki with yellow undertones 

Any red except very bright lipstick red

Grays

Browns that tend to have yellow

Lavenders

Peaches

Greens with yellow undertones

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@beach-mom,How very interesting!!!!!!!  

Then you know what I mean when I say a winter doesn't change to an autumn or any other season because of hair color changes?

Is your picture in the book?  What did you "do" for her?  Can't wait to hear!

Hi @ECBG!  My good friend was a hairstylist at an exclusive salon that was going to be using the Color Me Beautiful system and selling the makeup. They sent a team from Virginia to train some of the staff. The owner of the salon asked me if I would be a "model" for them. Of course I would! In return I received the little booklet of swatches I carried for years. Of course being the makeup nut that I was, I ended up buying all of the makeup they used on me! LOL! I used it for a lot of years. That was where I learned one of my favorite summer eye looks, which I still do every once in a while: peach under brow, key lime on lid, bronze in crease, and copper liner. (I have hazel eyes.) 

They did take pictures, but they were used just at the salon. 

Shortly after that another friend decided to be a color "consultant." She went into a successful business for herself, not using Carole Jackson's system. She also asked me to be a model for her presentation, and her husband filmed it. So through all of this, the one thing I'm sure of is. . .

. . . I am and always was an "autumn"! Thank goodness they both came to that conclusion! Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

As I have aged (60s), I can no longer wear dark colors next to my face.  Makes me look awful!  Have to either go lighter or wear a coloful scarf or jewelry around my face.  It is hard for me to tell what colors look good on me.  Except for dark colors, I just can't tell.  I like ALL colors.  Fortunately for me, friends will say "Oh that color is flattering on you" so I know! Woman Wink  I have a lime green 3/4 sleeve sweater that I wore for church the other day with a colorful matching top underneath.  I was told that I looked good in that color!  I am glad someone told me lol. I had no idea-I just liked the top and sweater together.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@ECBG

BEST COLORS:  

Bright canary yellow 

Bright orange 

Emerald 

Optic white

Taupe with pink or gray

Wine

Black 

Bittersweet chocolate 

Royal blue 

Most blues 

Clear bright green 

Purple

Periwinkle

WORST COLORS

Any pale orange

Any yellows with orange or beige undertones

Ivory whites

Khaki with yellow undertones 

Any red except very bright lipstick red

Grays

Browns that tend to have yellow

Lavenders

Peaches

Greens with yellow undertones

@Nonametoday,You might want to look at that bright orange again (under your eyes and down the laugh lines next to a window).

If you can wear orange than many of the hues in the bottom group would follow.

Be sure you look at your face (not the color) as you move that color up and down; 15 sec. intervals.

Also, was this list from things you always had "success" with, or did you do the drape test I've outlined.  In order to actually get your colors, we need your eyes to be looking at the right place.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG

I can't even stand to look at my face now with this red hair.  It is near mahogany.  I wanted something between strawberry blond and copper.  I am just wearing white and black for now.  I have been in a crying mood.  I don't know why.  DH and children say it's okay, that it is very attractive and sassy "like me," but I want to look soft, like a grandma, not sassy like Rhonda Fleming.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@ECBG

I can't even stand to look at my face now with this red hair.  It is near mahogany.  I wanted something between strawberry blond and copper.  I am just wearing white and black for now.  I have been in a crying mood.  I don't know why.  DH and children say it's okay, that it is very attractive and sassy "like me," but I want to look soft, like a grandma, not sassy like Rhonda Fleming.

@Nonametoday,

Bless your heart!  

Origonal hair color is only a clue.  You can wrap your hair in a medium light beige towel and do the test.  Your hair doesn't change your season.  Hair can throw shawdows on your face though, just like clothing.

Why don't you go ahead and order the Color Me (1987) Beautiful book on Amazon for $8.88.  At least you'll have something interesting to think about.

That way you'll have something new and exciting before the next season.  You will definately be in my prayers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBAG

I ordered the book but it is a paperback, $19.63 plus $4 shipping, not available for Prime.  So I went back and canceled it.  I think DIL has it.  If she does, I will use hers and if not, I will order.  I had a friend with it back in the 1980s and she told me I was a summer, but I don't know what she based that on except she had a lot of fabric color samples and I don't recall her holding them up to my face at a window, but at a table with a light overhead so that wa probably not accurate.  I think she was working as a colorist at that time and later began selling make-up.   I think later she was just wanting to sell me make up for a summer.  ;-)

Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@ECBAG

I ordered the book but it is a paperback, $19.63 plus $4 shipping, not available for Prime.  So I went back and canceled it.  I think DIL has it.  If she does, I will use hers and if not, I will order.  I had a friend with it back in the 1980s and she told me I was a summer, but I don't know what she based that on except she had a lot of fabric color samples and I don't recall her holding them up to my face at a window, but at a table with a light overhead so that wa probably not accurate.  I think she was working as a colorist at that time and later began selling make-up.   I think later she was just wanting to sell me make up for a summer.  ;-)

@Nonametoday,All colorists have a natural sunlight lamp they work with.  You need to understand color almost as well as an artist to achieve the same results under green light.  You may be a summer, the light of blue based.  Still, I have a friend with blue eyes and light hair that drapes winter.  

The test is invaluable.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG

My daughter-in-law who has the book and has done this lots of times (she works in fashion industry, marketing), says that by the old (1987) book I am a Summer but by the newer standards, I am a Cool Summer and next a Winter.  

She does not particularly like the Summer drapes for me but my hair, eyes and complexion, veining, etc., are clearly Summer but when draped, more of what is known as the "12-season coloration" as Cool Summer or Winter.

???  She also says I should wear what I think looks good on me because I am more secure when I think I look good (she says I always look good, but she loves me).