Respected Contributor

Re: What Coat to Wear Over Long Cardigans

@magicmoodz wrote:

@brii wrote:

I would never wear a short coat over a long sweater.  It looks sloppy to me.

I have a couple of long sweater coats, and I don't put anything over them. 

I completely agree with this.  

I agree, I'd never wear a short coat over a long jacket.  However, those of us who live in cold weather locales don't have the option of not wearing a coat.  You either save those long cardigans for mild weather or you put them on when you get to work.  That would work for me (if I owned any) because I often carry my blazers to work and put them on when I get there.

Respected Contributor

I've only seen long cardigans and coatagins styled as the outer piece. 

Depending on the climate where you live that could be many months or just a few.

I like the idea of carrying one to the office (or keeping one there). 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with everyone.  Never thought of this when I bought them.  I have to wear a coat here in the winter so I guess I will just have to carry it with me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it depends on preference and body shape IMO. 

I worked in the fashion industry for many years and I've and seen a short jacket worn over a long cardigan etc. done well. I have worn this myself with many compliments. It also depends on the rest of the outfit. I also bought the Halston long cardigan in Bone and I have tried it on with several of my leather jackets and it looked really good. I have a preference for this look since I have an hourglass figure and I'm tall and I think it helps to flatter my shape. I always have to use a belt for a long cardigan or blouse etc. so the shorter jacket comes in at my waist in the same way. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

When I wear a long sweater coat, if it is not warm enough I add either a ruana or a long coat. 

Respected Contributor

A maxi-coat.

Honored Contributor

Simple:

A 3/4-length trench coat or a 3/4-length wool/other coat or a 3/4-length anorak.

HTH  

8-)

Esteemed Contributor

I would only wear a coat the same length or longer than the cardigan. To my eyes, a long sweater sticking out under shorter outerwear reminds me of bag ladies.

Honored Contributor

Wearing a coat over a cardigan would be too much for me.  The cardigan would be enough.  However I am not on the east coast. 

Honored Contributor

now that we are talking about this, it would have been nice if he had made a long scarf in the same material and colors to go with the long cardigan. i really do love this piece and will be buying another color.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein