Respected Contributor

Re: What Are The Worst Sites For Charging The Highest Shipping and Handling?

Soft Surroundings' shipping is outrageous.

Honored Contributor

JJILL......i love their items, but the shipping charges do not stop me from purchasing. i only buy when i have some type of a coupon code that is MORE than the free shipping code would be. i wonder if i can CALL the store instead of going in and have them order my items that way?

MONROE and MAIN and BLACK VELVET catalogs......also high shipping costs and very few coupon codes. when there is a coupon code for a percentage off it does help defray the costs of shipping.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Soft Surroundings' shipping is outrageous.

@Bri36

But there stuff is so nice .... I'm willing to pay the shipping.

Honored Contributor

Two things that I always buy online are yarn and books.

The books are mostly old foreign language books and the booksellers are in France, Germany and occasionally UK.  The shipping is outrageous!  But ... they are (expensive) rare items and no place else to get them.  When I see something ... I have to "grab" it.  I recently found something that I've been searching 20+ years for a copy!

The places that I buy my yarn charge a lot for shipping ... but again, it's stuff that I need and can't get elsewhere. 

Esteemed Contributor

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

i consider the total, which includes any shipping, to determine the value of the purchase to me.

which bucket they put it in is of no matter to me.  the total is how i value the purchase.

shipping carriers do charge the merchant.  the merchants that state 'free' shipping add that to the cost of goods which then is passed to us the purchasers.

merchants contract with carriers affecting the price of  shipping for them.   the larger merchants volume is key to better shipping costs.   hence the less passed on into cost of goods.

NOt all merchants inflate their prices to cover the cost of shipping.  FOr example If I order cosmetics from Nordstrom the cost of that item is the identical cost as if I ordered it from Macy's or Saks or any other retailer who carries that particular cosmetic line.  HOwever with Nordstrom I get free shipping both ways.  I certainly do not get that from other retailers when ordering on line.

Respected Contributor

all merchants do not pay the same for product from the manufactures.   

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Occasional Contributor

You can order from a store and avoid shipping charges at Jjill.  I won't pay their price either.

Occasional Contributor

Order from the store, no shipping. Even if you have their card they charge shipping.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

can you call the store instead of going into the store for JJILL?

(i do use mr rebates or ebates to defray the cost of shipping a bit.)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@ECBG,   Totally agree with you.  Sundance Catalog has some really nice items but the shipping price ends it all for me.  Stopped looking at their site.

HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength