Honored Contributor

What Are The Worst Sites For Charging The Highest Shipping and Handling?

It had been quite a while since I ordered from Robert Redford's Sundance Catalog.  $12.95 for p & s!  I really liked the skirt enough!  I certainly won't do that much!

Respected Contributor

Re: What Are The Worst Sites For Charging The Highest Shipping and Handling?

Chadwicks of Boston is outrageous.  Whatever website you're on though do a google search for a promo code for free shipping or a percentage off - better than nothing.

Valued Contributor

J Jill!  I love their clothes, however.  I am tall so I love that they offer a lot of their clothing in tall sizes, but I hate paying the shipping and handling.  Occassionally, they will offer free S&H for orders over a certain amount.  Unfortunately, the stores don't carry the tall sizes, so I don't have much choice.

Trusted Contributor

As much as I love JJill clothes, their shipping fees are crazy.  If you order a few items, it can be as high as $18 to ship!

But if you order any items in the store, shipping is free.  If I order on line, it's only when they offer free shipping.

I think if you have a JJill credit card (which I have), shipping should be free.

Chico's has free shipping once you reach a certain total $$$ amount. 

Respected Contributor

I agree about J Jill - ridic.

Trusted Contributor

I loved the things in the  Soft Surroundings catalog, and probably would have ordered a lot, but I was stopped in my tracks many times by the outrageous shipping and handling.  I ordered three times I think, just because I wanted those items particularly badly.

Now a store has opened up somewhat near to me, so I could check that out first.

Honored Contributor

Banana Republic and Ann Taylor both charged eight or nine bucks for shipping! But a good friend of mine has the card for Banana Republic so I'm ordering something this morning with all of her discounts including the free shipping! Apparently that's the advantage to having store cards. Free shipping and lots of discounts throughout the year which is all well and good if you pay everything off when you get the bill
Honored Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

I loved the things in the  Soft Surroundings catalog, and probably would have ordered a lot, but I was stopped in my tracks many times by the outrageous shipping and handling.  I ordered three times I think, just because I wanted those items particularly badly.

Now a store has opened up somewhat near to me, so I could check that out first.

@blueroses47. When I go to Soft Surroundings they will order anything I want from the catalog that I can pick up in the store with no charges.

Respected Contributor

i consider the total, which includes any shipping, to determine the value of the purchase to me.

which bucket they put it in is of no matter to me.  the total is how i value the purchase.

shipping carriers do charge the merchant.  the merchants that state 'free' shipping add that to the cost of goods which then is passed to us the purchasers.

merchants contract with carriers affecting the price of shipping for them.   the larger merchants volume is key to better shipping costs.   hence the less passed on into cost of goods.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

I don't remember the catalog, it came in the mail and I didn't request it but I really like a top and  went online to order it.  I think the top was about $25 and the s&h was $17.95.  And it was not expedited shipping!   I canceled the order and tossed that catalog in the trash.