Honored Contributor

Re: Were you ahead of your time (in fashion)?

Had to wear uniforms to school.....and when I "got out", I went hog wild

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

All through high school, I read Seventeen magazine from cover to cover and studied the pictures.  I did put some looks together and got compliments.  In college I read Vogue and took several courses, learned the steps in clothing design, and designed several items.  

About ten years ago, as fashion started to change a little, I looked all over for low platform heels!  They weren't available in any store and traditional shoes just didn't "cut it".  When platform heels did come out, I had moved on to a different type of platform.

Respected Contributor

So I've been told.

Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Homegirl wrote:

I am so glad fashion has become less restrictive, and attitudes toward it have become less restrictive and less stodgy.  

And that there are so many options that we can wear in more places than before.  

(I'm not saying anything is OK at any time.)

I am reminded of a pantsuit I wore to one of my first jobs in the 70s.

It was a tailored blazer and, of course, pants, in a fabric made to look like denim but not real denim.  My company sent me home!  That's what you get for being fashion forward.

Smiley Wink

Does anyone else have fashion memories where you might have been ahead of your time?

ITA; creative self-expression is where it's at.  :womanhappy:

Honored Contributor

I was a teen in the late 60's and very early 70's.  The mod, mini, London look, was all in.  Think Twiggy, etc.  I am from an extremely rural area.  I have loved fashion from a tiny child up.  I would save my money and buy Seventeen Magazine and any other fashion mag or teen magazine that I was able to.  I would copy what I could.  I would wear the pale pink lipstick and aqua eye shadow.

My older sister who had just gotten a job would buy me stylish clothes (which I never had before).  One outfit I picked out really stands out in my mind and I loved it so much.  It was a straight shift zip up the front dress --- very short - it was bright blue and bright green.  I had bright --- kind of a lime color --- tights in a sort of criss-cross pattern and birds egg blue patent leather shoes with a kitten type heel which tied with a big bow!!!  

If I could have worn catsuits like Emma Peel, I would have --- she was my idol!!!

I got sent to the principal's office a few times for my mini skirt being too short!!!  

And let's not forget the hot pants, halter tops, low, low, how low can you go hip huggers with elephant leg bell bottoms.  Although these items were not worn to school!  

Awww, those were the days!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1,
Yes, very fun fashion times.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Well, if I'm honest, I stumbled upon a childhood picture from when I was about three.  I was standing in between the cab and bed of our semi moving truck, with my hand on my hip and my other hand on the cab.  For some reason, I was wearing a smocked pink and white gingham sundress (the kind that tied at the shoulders), white sandals, and black kneesocks.  I asked my mother "who dressed me that day?" and she said "you did!".  She said that I INSISTED on the black socks with white sandals.  I think it might be revisionist history, and that everything I would normally wear was packed on the cross country move, but I digress...Cat Tongue

Respected Contributor

Not exactly ahead of my time, but I have always loved rolled jeans and was one of those who kept doing it from the last time boyfriend jeans were popular until its recent resurgence. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I remember when the dressy short sets came out in the late 80s. I had one that I wore with sheer black hose and ballet flats, and I remember everyone remarking how cute it was.  I never really saw anyone else wearing them.  I was in my 20s at the time.